outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 with 8.5"x 11" DD coil & Vulcan 360 pin pointer
along with good 'ol eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to my parents' house for Christmas, and of course had to take and show off my new metal detector to the family. I wanted to MD their yard just for the heck of it. It went bazerk and had multiple beeps constantly! I told my dad his house is sitting on top of a dump!!
He laughed and said there must be something wrong with your machine.
Laughing, I said "no, dad" I told him at times I was using the MD, it was so quiet that I had to double check it was working and hovered it over a can when I saw one...
No way am I digging up that whole yard!! My machine is probably picking up every construction material ever heard of!! LOL (metal flakes and nails, plenty I'm sure)
I even lowered the sensitivity big time, still did the same thing... front yard as well as back yard.
Using it again today elsewhere, it acted normal. Now, I know when homes are built,sometimes they do just add dirt and cover up a lot of junk in the yard leaving it there out of site...
No power lines close by, and I can't think of WHY it was beeping so bad. What else would interfere??
Also funny, my daughter (who is also blonde, but more dingy) bent over in front of me and asked me to see if it will detect the 5 metal rods holding her hip together after a bad car wreck a few years ago!!! LOL
That was after she asked me where my "weed wacker looking thingy is" LOL
Almost a hick family here, LOL:laughing7:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to my parents' house for Christmas, and of course had to take and show off my new metal detector to the family

At least you introduced your folks to "Garrett" and not someone named "Spike".:laughing7:

sagecincaid

Dec 27, 2014
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, you laugh now but can you imagine how wild it would be to find out that your parents house really was sitting on a literal gold mine all this time. Shoot, I'd do a little digging just in one spot to see what might happen, seeing as how it's behaving normally everywhere else; You never know. There was some movie where this dude kept randomly striking oil accidentally, everywhere he moved off to. Wish I could remember the name...

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the house was re roofed lots of times the yard is full of old nails. I would back away to a field or clean area and test it with different items. It will be ok just takes time.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There could have been underground wires or pipes!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wifi capable cell phones can cause trouble.sattellite dishes etc.dunno.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The yard here is about the same way. Part of it is because I had an extra bedroom and bath added onto the rear of the house. In the front yard, it's bad enough. There are nails, foil, bottle caps, and a few zincolns. I've found a couple of dimes, but they weren't very old. But, in the back yard, I decided to make a little 'test plot' for my detectors. I started in a spot that I thought would be best. I started digging everything. I gave up! In about a 3' by 10' area, I dug so many nails, bottle caps, bits of foil, pieces of iron, bits of wire, an old sparkplug, tin lids, small coil springs, etc., that I just gave up. Actually most of the items were older than the new addition. I don't know the history of the house.
If I'm able, next spring, I may try to find another spot to try. I'd like to have a spot about 10' x 20' to clean out until there are no 'beeps'. Then I can bury some coins, nails, foil, rings, etc. to see how each detector sounds at different discrimination and sensitivity settings. I had one set up back in the 1980s for the old Bounty Hunter 840 that I used so much. I could set it up to actually distinguish between nickels, rings, and pull tabs most of the time. A test plot, to me, is a must.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions