Kinda spooky!!!

Foster

Jan 19, 2011
Columbus, ms
Detector(s) used
White's Prism III, White's TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Once while diggin at my 1800's home place site, I found a small fragment of bone. Being that the site is in the middle of a cow pasture, the odds were that it was of a cow. However, I kept it in my collection of relics to get opinions on what it might be. Today, a fellow employee took the fragment to a friend who has a trained cadaver dog that helps the police. The dog hit on the bone twice!!! It is human!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o

Upvote 0

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_scratch: I would like to see it . Spooky , mystery stuff is interesting 8)

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
underdogger said:
O>K> what are the ramifications of that?

Well it kinda means whoever it belongs to...is dead! :)

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Does the site have any connection to the Civil war ? Could be from a battle field ? Maybe native american :icon_scratch: Definetly mucho creepy :-\

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fistfulladirt said:
Sometimes, they used to bury the deceased on their home turf.

That was very common practice in my neck of the woods. Lots of graves found on old farmsteds. Years go by, farm changes hands etc. and the plow does the rest. I have a buddy who unearthed a child's grave while detecting. Morbid but true.

Brian

OP
OP
Foster

Foster

Jan 19, 2011
Columbus, ms
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
acevillav said:
Does the site have any connection to the Civil war ? Could be from a battle field ? Maybe native american :icon_scratch: Definetly mucho creepy :-\
From the history of the area, yes, a CSA brigade was stationed in the area. However, the "OR's" do not mention a battle or skirmish near.

DirtDigler

Apr 10, 2010
Caroline Co., VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Most rural settings in the South tended to bury at the family estate. I'm not surprised you've turned up a few bones. Once the gravestones get toppled or moved it's almost impossible to locate and old graveyard. Periwinkle growing is often a good sign. As well as sunken graves.

OP
OP
Foster

Foster

Jan 19, 2011
Columbus, ms
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DirtDigler said:
Most rural settings in the South tended to bury at the family estate. I'm not surprised you've turned up a few bones. Once the gravestones get toppled or moved it's almost impossible to locate and old graveyard. Periwinkle growing is often a good sign. As well as sunken graves.
Exactly. That is the only fragment that I have found so far. Being in the middle of a cow pasture, only trees and grass are growing. An old well is near where the bone was found. Last year during a drought, you could see the bricks lining the walls of the well. This time of year, with all the rain, the water is at the surface. We have a fence around it so those very bright Bovinae don't decide to take a plunge.

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
it could be a grave or hospital waste before incinerators,or amputation waste from who knows. that being said it could be from one of the thousands of unsolved crimes we all hear about. I would run it by the the local police department just to be safe. who knows maybe it is jimmy hoffa.

OP
OP
Foster

Foster

Jan 19, 2011
Columbus, ms
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wwwtimmcp said:
it could be a grave or hospital waste before incinerators,or amputation waste from who knows. that being said it could be from one of the thousands of unsolved crimes we all hear about. I would run it by the the local police department just to be safe. who knows maybe it is jimmy hoffa.
:o :o :o Might be! He moved to rural MS to hide!

Steve001

May 24, 2006
It's hard to imagine a bone fragment from the 1800's would still have a human scent. It seems to me that this would have to be a fairly recent bone for it too excite a cadaver dog.

An interesting read

Is there a human signature in ancient bones that a trained canine can recognize?"
http://www.k9forensic.org/human-signature.htm

It would be interesting to take the dog to the area and see how it reacts.

OP
OP
Foster

Foster

Jan 19, 2011
Columbus, ms
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Steve001 said:
It's hard to imagine a bone fragment from the 1800's would still have a human scent. It seems to me that this would have to be a fairly recent bone for it too excite a cadaver dog.

An interesting read

Is there a human signature in ancient bones that a trained canine can recognize?"
http://www.k9forensic.org/human-signature.htm

It would be interesting to take the dog to the area and see how it reacts.
Great article!! You do have a point. Maybe I can get her to bring the dog out there while I'm digging. However, the bone was found at 6+ inches in red prairie clay. Might be hard for the dog to find anything. Just guessing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread