King George III Copper Found at Old Foundation

pteal

Sep 4, 2008
Albany, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Vision/White's Matrix M6/Minleab Excalibur
I found this two weeks ago, but I just bought a new camera, and I thought I'd test out it's macro capabilities.

Anyway, I stumbled upon this foundation in the woods a few weeks ago, and when I went back to detect it I found 5 buttons, some sort of metal tag with initials on it, and this King George III copper. There were no junk targets (bullets, tin, etc...) in the area, so when my machine sounded off, I dug. The KG III is in rough shape, but all of the copper coins that I've found in this are heavily corroded. I didn't have time to photograph the other items that I found there, but if there's interest, I'd be happy to post them soon.

The foundation was not on any of my 1800's maps, and it was on an old section of road that was abandoned by the early 1800's.

Thanks,

Peter

OldFoundation-500x375.jpg
KGIII_Obverse-500x500.JPG
KGIII_Reverse-500x500.JPG

Upvote 0

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is really cool, I have an old cellar hole like this that keeps spittin up buttons, 1 coin, and other random corrosive items. I tracked yesterday 4 miles along the same ridge and found nothing but 9 ticks.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Find! Sometimes they are in good shape, sometimes not. Luck of the draw. CONGRATS..........Hogge

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too bad about the condition but it's usually the potential of the site I get charged up about, not so much the coins. There's got to be a good keeper there somewhere! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
P

pteal

Sep 4, 2008
Albany, NY
Detector(s) used
When I first detected the site I only spent about an hour there after work. That's when I found the KG and the buttons. The next day (Good Friday), I was out detecting with 3 of my friends, and I took them to some foundations that we've never hit. We didn't find anything at those, so I offered to take them to this one. The four of us detected there for about an hour and nobody got a single hit. I felt really bad taking them to a spot that I had apparently "cleaned out" the day before, but I though that at least one of us would find something else.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pteal said:
When I first detected the site I only spent about an hour there after work. That's when I found the KG and the buttons. The next day (Good Friday), I was out detecting with 3 of my friends, and I took them to some foundations that we've never hit. We didn't find anything at those, so I offered to take them to this one. The four of us detected there for about an hour and nobody got a single hit. I felt really bad taking them to a spot that I had apparently "cleaned out" the day before, but I though that at least one of us would find something else.

Quite a few years ago a friend of mine thought he owed me some sites and thought he had found just the place. He walked in the field and found a 2 reale and a couple buttons, and bascally waked out to save it. A week or so 4 of us went back and found nothing.

You can never blame anyone for trying. This is detecting, and that's just how it goes. The days the plans work out no one complains. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
P

pteal

Sep 4, 2008
Albany, NY
Detector(s) used
Re: Sniffy

I was out the day before yesterday and found a tick burrowed into my shoulder before I went to bed. I sprayed the heck out of my clothes with bug spray before I went out too.

I hope it's OK to mention product names here, but I would really recommend Repel Permanone insect repellent. I wasn't using it when I got my latest tick on me, but I've never been feasted upon when I've used it. You spray it on your clothes and let it dry, and stays on for weeks, even when you wash your clothes. I read somewhere that it's the only insect repellent that actually kills ticks. I'm definitely going to be treating several shits and pants with it.

Also, I purchased a couple of tick removers that I keep at home and in my car at all times. There's nothing worse than having a tick in you and not having any way to remove it safely!

Sorry to get off topic with that, but I hope someone will read this and find it helpful!

mlhudson

Mar 19, 2006
GADSDEN, ALA.
Detector(s) used
All White's Detectors MXT and IDX_pro, ANY OLD DETECTOR WILL DO
PLACES LIKE THAT ARE HARD TO COME BY, GREAT DIGGS :thumbsup:

KEEPA DIGGIN

MLHUDSON

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
still cool to find in that kind of area

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that it matters, but I'm pretty sure its a counterfeit :thumbsup:

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pteal said:
Re: Sniffy

I was out the day before yesterday and found a tick burrowed into my shoulder before I went to bed. I sprayed the heck out of my clothes with bug spray before I went out too.

I hope it's OK to mention product names here, but I would really recommend Repel Permanone insect repellent. I wasn't using it when I got my latest tick on me, but I've never been feasted upon when I've used it. You spray it on your clothes and let it dry, and stays on for weeks, even when you wash your clothes. I read somewhere that it's the only insect repellent that actually kills ticks. I'm definitely going to be treating several --deleted--s and pants with it.

Also, I purchased a couple of tick removers that I keep at home and in my car at all times. There's nothing worse than having a tick in you and not having any way to remove it safely!

Sorry to get off topic with that, but I hope someone will read this and find it helpful!

This is VERY useful info. I live in Lyme Disease territory. I"ve had lyme disease before and it really, really.......REALLY sucks bad. I"m going to try that repel product you mentioned..hopefully it helps. The ticks here are insane.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Sniffy said:
This is VERY useful info. I live in Lyme Disease territory. I"ve had lyme disease before and it really, really.......REALLY sucks bad. I"m going to try that repel product you mentioned..hopefully it helps. The ticks here are insane.

You guys up in CT put the Lyme in Lyme's Disease!

Nice going on another NYS Copper!!

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
Sniffy said:

You guys up in CT put the Lyme in Lyme's Disease!

Nice going on another NYS Copper!!

OMG the ticks here are viscous. I have to be very consciouses of all my clothing and skin before stepping back into my house. My Wife will not let me step foot back into the house before i've been thoroughly checked. The troubles I go through to find a couple cents.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Sniffy said:
The troubles I go through to find a couple cents.

There are two words that come to mind:

Dedication

Passion

At least you don't have to deal with the chigger bites that we have here in South Jersey!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread