King George III from the Faithful Steward

Poptopagain

Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's E Serries & Etrac
Last week, myself and a couple buddies hit the Delaware beach near Indian River and came up with some cool finds. One of them was this King George the 3rd. I'm sure that it is one of the pennys that was on board the Faithful Steward when it sank in 1785. I took some photos and posted them. If anybody knows anything about this King George's penny, I would love to know more. I think that I can see the date 1771 or 1773. But I am not a 100 percent. I'm trying to date it.

We also pulled a several silver Mercs and quarters from the fourties. This was most of our first attempts on the beach. Happy Hunting!

Attachments

• King George heads.jpg
    King George heads.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 597
  • King George date .jpg
    King George date .jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 463
  • King George tails.jpg
    King George tails.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 428
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a Halfpenny, and looking at the date I also see a case for it being 1775... which is the most common year.

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your finds at Coin Beach. I was just there 3rd week in September and there were 4 of us with detectors on the beach. I dug up a 1954 silver quarter, and one fellow dug up a pretty worn halfpenny, a medal, and some other artifacts. Shipwreck coins are being dug up consistantly on the beach, the most action is at the beginning as you approach the beach from the parking lot.

Here is a useful link. It has all the information you will ever need about Shipwreck coins on "Coin Beach".......................Rich

http://www.discoversea.com/Delaware's-Coin-Beach.html

OP
OP
Poptopagain

Poptopagain

Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's E Serries & Etrac
You're right. Cool site with alot of info. Thanks. I didn't even realize that it was a half penny.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions