Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

Wanted to try out some new settings on the XP Deus, a tweeked version of the Deus Fast setting. I thought I would try a Saxon field that I had found small Saxon Styca coins on before. Saxon Stycas are small bronze coins (13mm) that were minted in the Kingdom of Northumbria before the country was unified. They some times can be Silvered and there is quite a broad span of rulers for this time perod, including CivilWar issues and irregular type. (which one of mine is)

These coins can be very difficult giving a very iffy signal, and nearly always are found on heavy iron sites of occupation (great for the Deus) We only had a short window of time because the weather was closing in, the field was seeded but any rain we would have to leave soon after. A few small lead finds started to show through the iron, I was pleased with this because some were very tiny (bb size) so I knew the deus would pick them out, and it did...two of them .. Along with a very small Saxon Hooked clothes tag. The rain did come after about two hours so I had to leave just when I was on a roll, never mind they will be another day to winkle these very hard coins out, with the Deus.:thumbsup:

Styca of Osberht (848-867) with moneyer, Edelhelm (The one with two crosses) letters in both legends are retrograde.

Irregular styca of the period circa AD 843-855. (Phase two)

Attachments

• IMG_1791.JPG
    IMG_1791.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1804.JPG
    IMG_1804.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_1784.JPG
    IMG_1784.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1786.JPG
    IMG_1786.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1792.JPG
    IMG_1792.JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 127
  • 640px-Kingdom_of_Northumbria_in_AD_802.jpg
    640px-Kingdom_of_Northumbria_in_AD_802.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1783.JPG
    IMG_1783.JPG
    321.4 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1778.JPG
    IMG_1778.JPG
    233.2 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1756.JPG
    IMG_1756.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1759.JPG
    IMG_1759.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Upvote 15

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool finds! Not including salt water, how do you think the Garrett AT gold with stock coil would do in the UK? just curious.

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool finds! Not including salt water, how do you think the Garrett AT gold with stock coil would do in the UK? just curious.
I'm not really familiar with that machine, so couldn't really comment, it would depend on what you wanted to find here. For Saxon sites you need a fast recovery machine.:thumbsup:

SS

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic little coins there SS and a nice history lesson too. Thanks.
ZDD

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, thanks for the history lesson! Three Saxon finds in that short hunt is a great result. The new settings on the Deus work well on that site!

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Suhweet Stycas! :coins:

I was wondering about the economics guiding the usage of these base-metal coins, and the only quantified exchange-rate I located was a reference in the 1913 Webster's Dictionary stating that a Styca was worth 1/2 a farthing. I'd imagine this suggests that 8 stycas would be worth 1 silver sceat (penny)? But then I read that the stycas were the product of the progressive debasement of silver sceats?

I dunno why, but I am consistently fascinated by the contextual exchange rates/buying power of ancient coinage, so any illumination would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, thanks for the history lesson! Three Saxon finds in that short hunt is a great result. The new settings on the Deus work well on that site!
Yes...quite pleased how the settings turned out Mate.:thumbsup:

SS

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Suhweet Stycas! :coins:

I was wondering about the economics guiding the usage of these base-metal coins, and the only quantified exchange-rate I located was a reference in the 1913 Webster's Dictionary stating that a Styca was worth 1/2 a farthing. I'd imagine this suggests that 8 stycas would be worth 1 silver sceat (penny)? But then I read that the stycas were the product of the progressive debasement of silver sceats?

I dunno why, but I am consistently fascinated by the contextual exchange rates/buying power of ancient coinage, so any illumination would be greatly appreciated.
I wish I was a expert on this type of coinage but I'm not, it's so wide and diversive, but you might find this link a good read.:thumbsup: http://www.britnumsoc.org/publications/Digital%20BNJ/pdfs/1903_BNJ_1_5.pdf

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the link SS!

I'm not sure if i'll satisfactorily satisfy my curiosity regarding the economic realities of these coins anytime soon as the hard figures seem pretty elusive, but the pre-conquest kings and their coinage are mighty interesting in their own right.

I'm just speculating here, but I'd imagine that the late Roman coinage continued circulating regularly for centuries after they vacated England. I read that the small silver Siliquae may indeed have provided the model for the saxon silver sceats, so maybe the base stycas were modeled after the still-familiar Roman bronze AE3 or 4 coins?

I dunno, but this sort of stuff is fascinating. Thanks for sharing man.

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read that the small silver Siliquae may indeed have provided the model for the saxon silver sceats, so maybe the base stycas were modeled after the still-familiar Roman bronze AE3 or 4 coins?

I actually mentioned this to a Archaeologist about the connection with clipped Siliquae and the Saxon sceat the Silaiqua being passed off as a Sceat, I said they were done to be passed of as a sceat, after all they were the same size and would be the same weight, but I was shot done in flames, him saying there was no evidence.

But your right the Saxon coinage is quite unique regarding it's monetary value. I know the Sceat was a penny, and the Tremissis (gold) had a value of a shilling.

SS

Attachments

• C%20P.jpg
    C%20P.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 481

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
SS those two are just first class all the way and in such great condition as well. Congrats on the other finds as well the button is nicely washed, though what's the long thin item?

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SS those two are just first class all the way and in such great condition as well. Congrats on the other finds as well the button is nicely washed, though what's the long thin item?
Thanks Mate, the long thin item I think is a strap end, It looks to have a zoomorphic end, but it's either mangled or it's incomplete, perhaps lost during casting :dontknow: not 100% sure.

SS

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually mentioned this to a Archaeologist about the connection with clipped Siliquae and the Saxon sceat the Silaiqua being passed off as a Sceat, I said they were done to be passed of as a sceat, after all they were the same size and would be the same weight, but I was shot done in flames, him saying there was no evidence.

Lots of archaeologists are full of crap. For example, I showed this rare 1840s-early 50s iron-pontiled bottle I dug to an Archaeologist at my university (a historic-era archaeologist no less!) and she identified it as a machine-made bottle with an Owens machine suction scar on the base (post-1903 technology). I knew what it was, just wanted to share it with someone I thought would appreciate it as well. What a disappointment, LOL.

1914209_936022356550_4964289_n.jpg
1914209_936022376510_7711829_n.jpg

So anyway, I wouldn't let some overly pedantic fuddy-duddy archaeologist shut-down what seems to be a common-sensical interpretation of these awesome coins. Very nice clipped siliqua and sceat BTW!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way cool coin.
I'd like to try a Deus, but hard to switch when your quite happy with the machine your using currently ? (head scratch)

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Mate, the long thin item I think is a strap end, It looks to have a zoomorphic end, but it's either mangled or it's incomplete, perhaps lost during casting :dontknow: not 100% sure.

SS

I've only found one Zoomorphic strap end and it's still one of my fav. finds. But I just love the looks of the two coins, and both are so crisp. Congrats again.

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only found one Zoomorphic strap end and it's still one of my fav. finds. But I just love the looks of the two coins, and both are so crisp. Congrats again.
I have only had two or three myself, they really are great in detail, and even better if they are Silvered or pure Silver. The coins have faired well considering they are Bronze, made the mistake of cleaning one in the past with water and leaving it to dry out :BangHead: These two I soaked in Veg Oil first and then lightly brushed the dirt, which was now soft after the soak, it also helps to bring the patina out.

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread