Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have named what it is so obviously you must know something about it. Why don't you tell us?

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003
What makes you think this cross has anything to do with Kino?

In 1677 Kino was ordained in Austria. Why would his ordination date be celebrated? The cross may have been made to celebrate the construction of a church, or some other religious event. Where was the cross found? Mexico or Arizona? Is it brass, or is it gold?

OP
OP
M

MarkM

Tenderfoot
Jul 20, 2011
Curious The George said:
You have named what it is so obviously you must know something about it. Why don't you tell us?

I got the name from another thread, was hoping for more information. Apparently it won't be coming from you.

OP
OP
M

MarkM

Tenderfoot
Jul 20, 2011
lgadbois said:
What makes you think this cross has anything to do with Kino?

In 1677 Kino was ordained in Austria. Why would his ordination date be celebrated? The cross may have been made to celebrate the construction of a church, or some other religious event. Where was the cross found? Mexico or Arizona? Is it brass, or is it gold?

Kino is on the smaller picture. Why it shows up smaller is a mystery to me. I'm not sure of the metal. Question is, where do I go to find out what it's made of? Value? etc.

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003
Any jeweler can tell you if it is made of gold. You can determine the specific gravity by measuring the weight, and weighing again in water. If the weight is less than 5% lighter in water, your cross is gold.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mark,

You probably got that from my post. That is exactly what you have.

Don't think for a second that it was ever owned by Padre Eusebio Francisco Kino SJ. He was the ultimate in modesty, and such a thing like that he would have considered very tacky.

Also, don't think that it was from 1677 either. IF (and that is a big IF) it is a period piece, it is 99% surely silver. Everything on the cross has something to do with Padre Kino.

>As has been stated, he was ordained a Jesuit Priest in 1677.

>The name KINO is obvious.

>The Cross over the "V" stands for the Jesuit Order.

> The "MM" more than likely are the initials of the Mission/Church he used as his headquarters in Pimeria Alta, which was Santa "Maria Magdalena"

Now, when I say period piece, it may have been made to commemorate the death of Padre Kino in 1711. It could also be from the late 1960s, after Father Polzer SJ found the final resting place of Padre Kino after more than 250 years of it being lost. Finding his actual grave was the first step in Padre Kino's Canonization. A very embarrassing thing for the Mexican Government to have lost such an important historical figure. LOL

Mike

OP
OP
M

MarkM

Tenderfoot
Jul 20, 2011
Mike,

Thanks for the help with the cross, it's exactly where I got the info. I'll have to go and find out what it's made of. Do you know of a place that could provide more info on crosses like it?

Mark

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MarkM said:
Mike,

Thanks for the help with the cross, it's exactly where I got the info. I'll have to go and find out what it's made of. Do you know of a place that could provide more info on crosses like it?

Mark

I see.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, just noticed the "SS" on it. Depending on where/when it was made, the "SS" could stand for the "San Saba" Silver Mine (source of the silver).

Mike

OP
OP
M

MarkM

Tenderfoot
Jul 20, 2011
Silver would be nice. Do I clean this up a little or leave it as is?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions