mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
anyone here had knee replacement surgery? doc is telling me it's past time. I have to wait a bit before I can do it, but would like to hear from anyone that has had it done. so I can know what to expect. knew all that hard work when I was young was a mistake!

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back about 30 years ago, I had arthroscopic surgery to perform a lateral release on my left anterior patella.
The surgeon was Dr. Wertzberger, who was the sports orthopedic surgeon for the University of Kansas.
The surgery was a success, but about 2 years later, I had to go for follow-up surgery to remove "debris" that had formed from the original surgery.
Today, My knee is as healthy as my right knee and "hard to find" scars.
Of course, at the time I had excellent, company provided insurance. If I needed that same surgery today, I'd be.........out of luck.

Hoping for best results for you,
Scott

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
thanx AU24k I know they have come a long way in this field. I hope I won't have to have follow up surgeries. but I do need to do both my knees. one at a time. have heard a few people say they have no pain after healing. most amazing. thanx for the good wishes.

swampgal

May 3, 2008
G, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic III
Mammabear My dad had both of his done back to back and he loves them- sis had one done just while back shes loving it so far. good luck go for it.

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
Had a TKR done in June `05, it's different for everybody. It didn't work as intended in my case and I suffer daily because of it but the vast majority of TKR`S do work as intended. My advice, check, double check and then check again on your chosen doctor, his/hers qualifications etc.

Make sure it's right for you as there is no going back once it's done. Research options, newer less invasive procedures exist that may work better are available but may not be offered by your current doctor. :coffee2:

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I used to work for a guy that had total replacement of both knees. before he had it done he could barely walk with a walker because all the padding was gone in his knees. after the surgery was done, he went into rehab for about 3 months and by the end of it, he could take his wife dancing again. he was able to start walking on his replacements within 2 wks of having it done, w/aid of a walker. after a month he was walking with a cane. so he recovered quickly.
for him it was worth it and it worked great.
the question you have to ask yourself is, How much pain are you willing to put up without the surgery ?
how long are you willing to sit by and not enjoy getting out, before you have it done ?
after seeing how much pain my buddy was in before hand and seeing him after, if I ever have to make that decision
I won't waste anytime telling my doctor, let's do it and get it done, I've got better things to do
JMHO

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
my mom had both done just make sure you excersise right and go up and down stairs and work on bending down she didn't and now can't get on the floor like she used to and has trouble with stairs.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
I have two good friends,one in their eighties and one in his seventy's.No problems at all,the one in his eighty's still dances and the one in his 70's still puts his boat in by himself and goes fishing,hunting.Goodluck! BTW,they both had both knees done and the 80 yr old also had both hips done also.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Are you getting one knee done or both at the same time??? I would pick a doctor that only does joint replacements (knees and/or hips). Also, a doctor that will treat you if complications arise with the knee (here is Pittsburgh, there is one doctor that will not see you if complications arise from his knee). Even if the doctors do not tell you, expect pain. Stay on schedule for pain medications as best you can..Tell your nurse when you have pain, we can always call the doctor and get more pain medication for you if need be. Hope it helps.

PS. I am an orthopedic nurse is Pittsburgh.

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, thank you everyone for your replies, & good wishes. Ron, good advice. I will ask my doc all these?? I am having one at a time done. & I will religiously excersize after. I am so frustrated to not be able to go TH'ing or fishing, or even just shopping w/ my daughter! I use to live outside, now I knit & crochet on the couch. Everyone out there! chk your calcium levels!! my arth. is genetic, & I didn't know about it til the damage was really bad. I am only 54!! & I should be giving y'all a run for your $$ with all my treasure finds. so take calcium!!!! I have to wait till my upstairs bathroom is done cuz I won't be able to go up & down the stairs for awhile. so when I have the $ for that I will have the surgery done.
thank you again for your thoughts.
Mamabear

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Mama,

Let us know when you are going so that we can send quick and speedy recovery prayers.

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh! you will be able to go up and down stairs Mama. I've had both knees done, (one at a time). You will find that you won't be discharged from hospital until you have been shown the correct way to walk up and down stairs during your time of rehabilitation. You are also given exercises to do daily, and within 7-9 days or so your knee should be able to be raised to 90 deg. The more exercise you do the quicker it gets better. It is quite painful at first, that's only to be expected, but determination and perseverance are keys to it being succesful..........I am forgetting tho, they might expect a different recovery time in the US.

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay, now I am starting to get really excited!! when I do dishes, I look out on the pond in the back, & the fish are laughing at me, cuz I can't get down there to catch them! with new knees, I think I will feel like super woman!! (with better clothes)
will let ya know when I get to have them done. thanx!

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings Mama but......you will find it difficult to get down on your two knees after the operation. That is one of things that they will tell you not to do. But you will soon develop a good waistline as you learn to bend from the waist......sorry.

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
Agreed, it is difficult to kneel once done but not impossible. I use a knee pad with straps (used this for years prior to the surgery when I still turned a wrench) and it helps tremendously.

There's always a way to work-around the little issues. :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread