Known cache gold and silver coins help with locating.

Treasurefrank

Apr 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have really good info on a location of a gold and silver coin cache. The problem is that there is all kinds of buried metal etc.... Everywhere!!!. I have a whites spectrum xlt detector.
Are there any better detectors, settings or discriminations that could help weed out all the junk????? Any help would be appreciated.
Frank

K

Kentucky Kache

I have really good info on a location of a gold and silver coin cache. The problem is that there is all kinds of buried metal etc.... Everywhere!!!. I have a whites spectrum xlt detector.
Are there any better detectors, settings or discriminations that could help weed out all the junk????? Any help would be appreciated.
Frank

Detectors don't always discriminate correctly. Even if they did, no detector can tell the difference in a piece of scrap iron and an iron pot holding coins. Iron is iron. Same with any metal. For caches you want to use all metal mode, or at least the lowest discrimination setting, and dig every signal. I know it's a pain, but otherwise you might be rejecting your treasure.

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Diggin the junk to get the gold goes with the territory. Learn to live with it! hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

K

Kentucky Kache

I will suggest using a large coil, or better yet, a two box detector, which will only pick up on larger objects. Depth is the main concern, detector wise, when detecting for caches. Research and common sense go a long way as well.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd try a 2 box first, if i could get my hands on one...and if the cache is supposedly large enough to detect with a 2 box...it could save some work and time

Ronin29

May 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
if you have not a good detector , dig there and collect all coins !!! and discriminate it by your hand :laughing7:

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Frank

Use a 2-box and save time and backache. First have the site dowsed by one of the dowsers on this forum there are 4 good ones here then use the 2-box,You will save a lot of time and get the job done right. jmho. rwd mo

OP
OP
T

Treasurefrank

Apr 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told he buried gold and silver coins in these plastic containers. Would it be worth discriminating or would the range of gold and silver coins be to large to id? should I go strait to a two box detector?

OP
OP
T

Treasurefrank

Apr 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a specific area I was told to look in so dowseing is not needed just wish there was not so much trash!

OP
OP
T

Treasurefrank

Apr 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I think the plastic jars were around 8-10 inches high and diameter of 6 inches not sure if that is to small to pick up with a 2 box.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Larger targets can be identified with a good detector, as long as the targets are shallow enough to locate them.

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you know the general area were this is and if its the size you described I would hunt with no discrimination and dig only large targets.Grid it off and do one section at a time.

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
And I think the plastic jars were around 8-10 inches high and diameter of 6 inches not sure if that is to small to pick up with a 2 box.
Use a 2-box as it won't find anything smaller than your fist. It will find the containers if they are not over 2 ft. deep. I have a quart glass jar at 18in from top to top of ground and my whites 2-box will hit it good.Its full of pennies. (900) of them. jmho. rwd mo

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could just dig solid signals. Plastic is not going to block out that kind of coinage. You are looking for coins right?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread