No money??

TheSanDman333

Apr 22, 2012
Viola, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250, Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im farely new to detecting, and have been asking some old timers where some old house places are that i can detect. im really wanting to find some old coins or maybe even a cache. But all the old timrs i talk to says im wasting my time because nobody had money way bk around where i live...could this b true or should i keep on searching?? :icon_scratch:

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
333, buy a topo map from anywhere in 1920-1940 and look for the places on it. you will find places missing by comparing to a current map of the same topo.
a friend of mine took me to an old catholic school from 30's and 40's which was nothing more than woods when we went but we got good silver coins.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No money :laughing9:

look around this site we're finding coins from the first settlers up.
even from the depression years

Right after WW2 people spent money like it was
going out of existence

and were loosing it too.

If anyone had no money, it was because they just lost
it and didn't know where :laughing7:

or were hoarding it & too stingy to spend any

Randyd

Mar 8, 2011
Kalifornia
Knock on some doors of old homes in your area and ask to detect. I started with my grandma's house back when I was in grade school and found my first silver quarter. At my school I found my first gold ring (10k). Ask everyone you know if you can detect at their house, just make sure you know how to dig without messing up their lawn or flowerbeds.

K

Kentucky Kache

Im farely new to detecting, and have been asking some old timers where some old house places are that i can detect. im really wanting to find some old coins or maybe even a cache. But all the old timrs i talk to says im wasting my time because nobody had money way bk around where i live...could this b true or should i keep on searching?? :icon_scratch:

When you say treasure, or hidden money, people tend to think millions of dollars. Cache/treasure hunting is about finding something people have lost or hidden in the past, regardless of how much. It's true, poor people didn't have a lot of money to stash back, but everyone had to have at least a little money, or they wouldn't have survived. Finding a handful of old coins that someone had put away in an old coffee can is treasure. In fact, that would be a cache. Maybe not worth a fortune, but fun to look for and find. Don't let anyone talk you out of hunting a place.

Last edited:

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Like said you need to do a little mental digging before you do any real digging.

Old topo maps, census records, even newspaper archives will give you good leads.
Also don't know about Arkansas, but in PA we have PennPilots. Fantastic site with aerial survey photos going back into the 1930's.

I found my original homestead on our farm that way. Won't say what else I found there.:laughing7:

And something else to think about where you are. Just cause someone says there's nothing out there, may just mean the opposite.
"certain" folks don't take too kindly of others on their turf, if you catch my drift.
Be careful where you tread, and have fun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread