Kudos to "IzzY"

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kudo's to "IzzY"

I think the next meeting of miner's should include the guest speaker, "Izzy" Martin, CEO of the Sierra Fund. She can tell us how easy it was to run a bunch of Neanderthals out of calif.

All she did was print the propaganda, then produce a couple gala wine tasting events for the movers and shakers. Her crowning achievement
will be to get millions more from the new water bond to finance her own mercury (gold mining) recovery operations.

Here you can find the next chapter in the march to power. It takes a little clicking around to get the pdf files to show up, so if you
are truly a Neanderthal, don't try it. Doesn't much matter anyway.

http://reclaimingthesierra.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/GET-THE-MERCURY-OUT-Brochure-4web.pdf

http://reclaimingthesierra.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/GET-MERCURY-OUT-FactSheet-June2013.pdf

http://www.sierrafund.org/news/596-hg-out

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oldbrundogg

Sep 22, 2012
Oroville
Detector(s) used
99.00 something or other from big 5
Wow, I don't know what else to say except WOW!
I guess they have the populous herds dumbed down enough to swallow anything shoveled at us.
Good luck everybody
OBD

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So the Sierra Nevada Club is going to start mining and being supported by the CA taxpayer. Excellent. Glad I'm not in CA. The project as a whole deal I'm sure is great, but with all the sediment being stirred up. Won't that harm the three winged dragonfly. ;@. Plus I'm sure that they would stir up less sediment than a couple 4" dredges could move.
How could they honestly believe that this would do less damage than dredging. End result more water and less chance if contamination. Both would end with gold in the pockets. I'd bet the Sierra club could wind up with a couple thousand ounces in AU. Where as the local prospector could wind up with far less in same amount of time.
Why not let the local prospectors dredge then clean out mercury from sludge. That way it'd be a win win for prospectors and Sierra.

OP
OP
F

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett - minor detail. Its the Sierra Fund, located in Nevada City, ca. not the Sierra Club. The Sierra Club is busy screwing up the whole USA.

Last edited:

oldbrundogg

Sep 22, 2012
Oroville
Detector(s) used
Just like fullpan said in first sentence last paragraph. It's not about mercury, not water, not gold nor health not even money, just power and control.
OBD
P.S. they'll find something where ever you're from. Agriculture, power, water whatever they need for the " good" of the people.

dredgeman

Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When do we have to move to the High Density living quarters.

Didn't a Brand new study just come out saying the fish are fine.

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Send this to Dizzy...

[h=1]California sport fish safe to eat[/h]By Press Release
From page A12 | 5 Comments

The California Water Board recently released the results of an extensive study that’s good news for California fishermen. The most comprehensive study yet of California sport fish indicates they are safe to eat throughout the Sierras.
The study was the third in a three-part study extending over seven years that sampled 63 rivers and 568 fish to determine the health of California sport fish.
Without exception the fish in the mountains and gold-bearing areas of California, the fish were either well below or significantly below established criteria for consumption. Eighty-seven percent of locations sampled tested below mercury threshold levels and 100 percent of rivers in the gold country tested below U.S. Environmental Protection Agency thresholds. The only areas found with levels of mercury exceeding advisory criteria were in the Sacramento Delta, which is consistent with earlier testing.
The Water Board report concluded: “This could indicate that safe fish consumption at a frequency of more than one serving per week is possible at the vast majority of these locations if the cleaner species are selected. Comparing the data to a high standard of safety, 28 of the 63 locations (44 percent) had at least one species that can be safely consumed at a higher consumption rate of three servings per week.”
The results are consistent with earlier studies finding California trout are some of the safest for consumption in the country. Measured amounts of toxins, including mercury, show levels well below established health advisories. This new information throws into question the continued push by environmental groups to place additional restrictions on fishing and outdoor activities.
The study follows a 2007 study of reservoirs and lakes that found none of the 22 lakes sampled required California Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA) advisories. The study also found no difference in mercury levels between lakes in or outside historic mining districts.

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
And this...

Fish taken from Delta have most mercury in California

By Associated Press
Associated Press
Posted: 06/03/2013 08:23:03 AM PDT
June 3, 2013 3:40 PM GMTUpdated: 06/03/2013 08:40:54 AM PDT

SACRAMENTO -- Sport fish from rivers and streams in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta have higher levels of mercury in their systems than fish taken from anywhere else in California, a new survey has found.
Researchers for the State Water Resources Control Board in 2011 surveyed 16 species from 63 locations. The study found that Sacramento pikeminnow, smallmouth, largemouth and striped bass from the Delta watershed had the highest concentrations of mercury in their tissues, The Sacramento Bee reported Sunday.
The state's Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment lists mercury as unsafe for frequent consumption, especially for children and women of childbearing age. Studies have shown that even low doses can affect a child's motor skills and cause learning disabilities. Mercury also has been blamed for fertility and memory problems in adults.
Freshwater fish in California have absorbed mercury that leached into waterways from 19th and early 20th Century mines.
The sites with the most contaminated fish included fishing spots on the American and San Joaquin rivers, including Coloma, Discovery Park in Sacramento, the pier at Point Antioch and Louis Park in Stockton.
Many of the locations already have signs warning anglers of potential health hazards.
But UC Davis researcher Fraser Shilling tells the Bee that some people ignore the advisories and nonetheless consume what they catch. Shilling surveyed people who

i

fish rivers in Sacramento, Stockton and Suisun Bay about their catching and eating habits in 2008. He concluded that about 75,000 people consume enough fish from those areas to put them at risk, while about 8,500 eat about 10 times the amount that officials consider safe. "This behavior may have a lot to do with a strong cultural preference for fish for economic reasons," Shilling said. "Once you buy your license, the fish becomes a free source of food. And in the lower elevations -- closer to the urban areas -- immigrants and ethnic minorities tend to be the main people catching fish."
Along with mercury, the Delta yielded fish with higher concentrations of PCBs -- chemicals that were used widely in paints and plastics before they were banned in 1979 -- and the insecticides dieldrin and DDT.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My bad on that. I thought they were one and the same. Never been a fan if either. Yes it's true. It's all about power over all. Just can't leave us to live our lives and enjoy what we like to do. That's all I'm going to say about that. Lol

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
06/12/2013
Mercury Levels Safe in Waters of California's Gold Country
Print
The California Water Board recently released the results of an extensive study that’s good news for California fishermen. The most comprehensive study yet of California sport fish indicates they are safe to eat throughout the Sierras.

New Study Released
The study was the third in a three-part study extending over seven years that sampled 63 rivers and 568 fish to determine the health of California sport fish.

Without exception, the fish in the mountains and gold-bearing areas of California were either well below or significantly below established criteria for consumption. Eighty-seven percent of locations sampled tested below mercury threshold levels and 100% of rivers in the gold country tested below US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) thresholds. The only areas found with levels of mercury exceeding advisory criteria were in the Sacramento Delta, which is consistent with earlier testing.

The Water Board report concluded, “This could indicate that safe fish consumption at a frequency of more than one serving per week is possible at the vast majority of these locations if the cleaner species are selected. Comparing the data to a high standard of safety, 28 of the 63 locations (44%) had at least one species that can be safely consumed at a higher consumption rate of 3 servings per week.”

Confirms Prior Studies
The results are consistent with earlier studies finding California trout are some of the safest for consumption in the country. Measured amounts of toxins, including mercury, show levels well below established health advisories. This new information throws into question the continued push by environmental groups to place additional restrictions on fishing and outdoor activities.

The study follows a 2007 study of reservoirs and lakes that found none of the 22 lakes sampled required California Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment advisories. The study also found no difference in mercury levels between lakes in or outside historic mining districts.

The Water Board studies reflect a continuing trend in California for decreasing mercury levels. A 2011 US Geological Survey (USGS) report on mercury levels across the United States found mercury levels across the West had been dropping, including over a 7% drop in mercury levels in the Sacramento River and a 3% drop in the Klamath River. The USGS study evaluated measurements from a span of twenty years.

The Water Board study also measured levels of the naturally occurring element selenium. According to newly released guidance from the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Agency (NOAA) the presence of selenium acts to completely offset the effects of mercury. The new NOAA guidance states if the balance of selenium to mercury in fish is achieved then fish are safe to eat. The Water Board study found levels of selenium in the fish exceeded the levels of mercury indicating an additional safety factor for consumption.

Conclusions
“These studies confirm what we’ve been saying,” said Western Mining Alliance President Craig Lindsay. “Despite the rhetoric of environmental groups claiming a toxic legacy from mining, there is no argument about the science. The data clearly shows mercury is not an issue in gold country, the fish all measure well below advisory criteria, and mercury levels have been consistently dropping over the past twenty years.”

While the Water Board documented the selenium levels in fish and noted they exceed the levels of mercury, they have yet to acknowledge the numerous scientific studies that show selenium effectively neutralizes the effects of mercury. This selenium-mercury connection was conveniently ignored in the Draft Subsequent Environmental Impact Report on suction gold dredging in 2011 . (See: Selenium, Mercury and Suction Dredging -- Studies Contradict California State Water Resources Board, ICMJ's Prospecting and Mining Journal, March 16, 2013.)

oldbrundogg

Sep 22, 2012
Oroville
Detector(s) used
Yeah I grew up in Antioch, my dads family were fishermen from Sicily lived in Pittsburg all their lives. I know I'm not a high paid expert but I have seen first hand the materials dumped straight into the rivers in less than a five mile length of shore. We had Dow, steel mill,Pg&e, pulp mill actually 2 power plants.i doubt that the mercury from mining operations hundreds of miles up stream impacted the fish more than all the factories that line the delta rivers.
IMHO
OBD

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4.250" long 1/4 x 28 Torx Bolt Izzy........................63bkpkr

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Good fish study only the forgot to mention that us prospectors and rural people are the only ones who eat them. And most frown upon keeping trout anyway! What do we know, we are just knuckle- dragging mouth breathers!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread