Labor Day weekend hunts yield Musketballs, Coppers, Silver and more!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out to three different places over the Labor Day weekend. First spot was my most productive Colonial/Federal era coin site. I hunted the place hard 20 years ago and hadn't been back since 2010. To give you an idea just how sweet this place was, here are all the coins I dug there. A total of 91 in all including the one I found Friday. Dated coins ranged from 1718 to 1826.
Coins.jpg
The vegetation was just ridiculous, making the most productive areas impassible. The greenbriers and thorn bushes have really covered the place compared to 20 years ago. Nevertheless, I was able to pull a few French & Indian War musketballs, a Tombac button, and a toasted copper
9-1-17 all.jpg
Saturday I had a short hunt at the site of a mid 19th century inn. The area also saw some activity in the 1920s based on the 1917 Standing Liberty Quarter, and Lincoln pennies dated 1910, 1917, and 1918. The older coins were an 1827 LC, and 1860 and 63 IHPs.
All.JPG Fronts.JPG Backs.JPG
SLQ dirt.jpg LC dirt.jpg
Finally, yesterday I did a little yard hunting in the neighborhood. My neighbor is selling the family home which at one time was a schoolhouse. I went over most of the backyard yesterday and found a couple pieces of silver and a few wheat ear pennies. I also found three lead toy soldiers which I gave to the owner who is a Vietnam Veteran.
9-4-17 all.JPG

Upvote 32

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MAN WHAT FINDS..

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow that place is a once in a lifetime site in PA. We need to find another one in Allegheny County... working on it... Congratulations on your finds, it is definitely tough going with the briars and rain we had over the weekend.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that place is a once in a lifetime site in PA. We need to find another one in Allegheny County... working on it... Congratulations on your finds, it is definitely tough going with the briars and rain we had over the weekend.
Thanks Thad. And not to mention 100 spider webs in the face and hair.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow, you have some very awesome finds, okay a lot of them. very sweet places to hunt, places that a lot of us dream about. you have dug a lot of history in many forms. congrats

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man Steve, that place has been real good to you over the years. Hard to find places like that anymore.....but they're out there!
Nice recent hunts and hopefully you'll be able to get into those overgrown spots when it dies back

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some mighty fine detecting!! Congrats on all your hard earned success.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds!!! Love the display !!

Congrats and HH

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a Labor Day to remember!

Congratulations!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that first picture makes me dizzy! I can see why you wanted to go back. Your latest digs are fantastic, I love that SLQ

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Art!

wow, you have some very awesome finds, okay a lot of them. very sweet places to hunt, places that a lot of us dream about. you have dug a lot of history in many forms. congrats
Thanks DL, they are getting harder and harder to find!

Man Steve, that place has been real good to you over the years. Hard to find places like that anymore.....but they're out there!
Nice recent hunts and hopefully you'll be able to get into those overgrown spots when it dies back
I have many fond memories of that place Joey, and I have a dossier if you will of historical events there. It was nice to walk that ground again after so many years.

Now that's a hunt! Way to go!
Thanks Scruggs:icon_thumright:

Some mighty fine detecting!! Congrats on all your hard earned success.
Thanks. It was hard earned if you knew how much perseverance it took to get on there in the first place.

Sweet finds!!! Love the display !!
Thanks

Congrats and HH
Thanks

That is a Labor Day to remember!
Yes it was!

Congratulations!
Thanks!

Man that first picture makes me dizzy! I can see why you wanted to go back. Your latest digs are fantastic, I love that SLQ
I was happy to see the SLQ. I don't run into many of those, especially with a legible date.

Wampum

Jun 13, 2011
Tioga County PA.
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds! When you think about it musketballs are just a round lump of lead but they are so satisfying to find.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
sweet finds keep digging

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
20 years ago eh Steverino!Not your first cookout ...
Nice digs i just watched the documentary on The French and Indian War and was wondering if any battle sites were detected..

~Blaze~

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20 years ago eh Steverino!Not your first cookout ...
Nice digs i just watched the documentary on The French and Indian War and was wondering if any battle sites were detected..

~Blaze~
Hi Blaze, there are six major French & Indian War battle sites within 50 miles of my hometown.
Fort Necessity - National Park
Braddock's Defeat - under a steel mill
Grant's Defeat - under the city of Pittsburgh
Battle of the Loyalhanna at Fort Ligonier (my hometown) - partially under the town of Ligonier
Battle of Bushy Run - Pennsylvania State Park

There were also two significant skirmishes near my hometown, one in which George Washington was almost killed by friendly fire.
George Washington | Fort Ligonier

So my F & I War relics have come from encampments and fortifications along the military roads used during the conflict.

Here is an amazing piece of history. The certificate I received from the lead archaeologist after the 1964 excavations (part of the fort was where our house stood). I was 6 going on 7 at the time, but was busy plucking musketballs, pipe stems, buttons, etc. from the sifting screens that summer.

Attachments

• Fort Ligonier.jpg
    Fort Ligonier.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread