Lackawanna Gulch, Colorado

Old Radio Tech

Nov 17, 2011
Alaska
Primary Interest:
Other
Lackawanna Gulch – Hwy 82 west of Leadville, Colorado. Lackwanna Gulch contained Gold with Lead and was mined (not sure when). There was (1974?) a small campground on the left as you neared the base of Independence Pass. I haven’t been able to spot it using Google earth, but it’s the one with the water tunnel that extends through the mountain to bring west slope water to the east slope.
I could tell that material had to be brought in to make a level spot for the campground, and it extended right up to the creek. Not sure whether the material came from Lackawanna Gulch tailings or from the creek bottom where the tunnel audit was put in, but in 3-4 pans I found several 1/4oz lead nuggets with a layer of gold on one side. They were oval shaped and flat. Looked like little skipping stones. And no, they weren’t old bullets.
Good Luck.

Upvote 0

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
I did some prospecting at Derry Ranch (where 82 and 24 intersect - south of Leadville) last summer - very close to where you are suggesting. I got some very fine gold there high banking and moving lots of gravel. I will try to locate Lackawanna Gulch for next season.

Looks like there is a 4WD road (or better) close by.
http://usa.indettaglio.it/eng/08/065/180335.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions