Lady barber is my valentine.

Bell

Jan 13, 2011
Found this sweet 1902s barber half today after work. The detail is actually perfect but it has that nasty thick black coating on it silver sometimes gets especially when buried with iron. Any suggestions on how to get it off without hurting the coin? Peroxide does not help......
2011-02-14204336.jpg

Upvote 0

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
Dont rub it, dont touch it, put it in a soft place until one of the coin experts on here can tell you how to clean it!! Otherwise, you may devalue the coin majorly.

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I,m jealous -- L.B still eludes my coil after 13 years. :icon_biggrin: I would not clean it.

Coin Stalker

Jan 12, 2011
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Max, Tesoro Compadre
Wow what a nice valentine..... Some one will chime in eventually on how to clean that beauty :headbang:..

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!!!!!!! BIG silver :icon_thumright:

Indiana Digger

Oct 13, 2010
E.C. Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II SL90
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lady Barber should be left as a dirty girl until you talk to a coin expert.

Until then, enjoy your "dirty valentine".

Great find...congrats! :icon_thumleft:

~Indiana Digger~

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the others, don't do anything to this coin yet. It potentially could be worth several hundred dollars. http://www.numismedia.com/fmv/prices/barhlv/pricesgd.shtml

I'll keep an eye on this thread in hopes someone can give you a good cleaning solution that will not devalue the coin. Last year I found an 1858 Seated Liberty quarter with the same black discoloration. I left it "as is" and have grown to appreciate the unique coloring.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would try soaking the coin overnight in Olive Oil then a gentle rinsing under the fawcet and nothing else. Some coin experts can
clean the coin using Acetone and Cotton swabs. I would take it to the nearest coin shop and see what they have to say.

mj-air23

Oct 29, 2007
Jamestown, ND
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE PRO, Tesoro Stingray II
Electrolysis should take most of it off or make a paste of baking soda between your fingers and lightly rub both sides of coin. That seems to shine silver up nice without being too abrasive. Nice one!

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do NOT USE BAKING SODA! However I found a barber last year in the field black like that and electroylsis removed all the black from it without removing the patina

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't use electrolysis either.....1902 was my first and only :thumbsup:

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MMmm wait for someone who knows cause the value is anywhere fromm 300 to 900 depending on the grade that was EF to AU

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Bell said:
Found this sweet 1902s barber half today after work. The detail is actually perfect but it has that nasty thick black coating on it silver sometimes gets especially when buried with iron. Any suggestions on how to get it off without hurting the coin? Peroxide does not help......
2011-02-14204336.jpg

Nice to find those Barber halves, Congrats to you. The coin is already hurt. Getting it off cannot possibly hurt it more. Cleaning it cannot possibly hurt it more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread