SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need some fresh lake detectors advice on trying to work this old beach. This was a big public beach from the 20's-60's and then was closed down. A little private beach remained. I don't now how many people recall what it used to be, but the little strip of beach is now open to the public but barely used. I went there last week and found a blackened sterling ring stuck in the mud at beach end and another silver pendant close by. I went again today with high hopes of finding more rings. It was very challenging because the shore was loaded with junk - everthing from pulltabs to bottlecaps to nails. I did find a clad quarter, a few pennies and a mercury dime. But it was hard digging in rocks and stones under the sand and I had a hard time actually scooping up the goods. Wore me out in a couple of hours. I'm not a big swimmer so I'm limited to about knee height and I don't think my XLT is the best at shallow water work - it got all noisey and unstable. So other than doing some tuning on it, what advice can you give me about working this lake?

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For starters you should have a waterproof detector and it doesn't have to be a top end one either, but I would't use a PI type. With what you describe, it is just going to be slow work. There is no magic method or detector for this area. Since it is so trashy, a small coil would help.

Get the strongest scoop you can and just go at it. But remember to restore the bottom to normal when you leave each day. Good Luck.............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread