Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its as easy as 1. 2. 3...

1. Pick a direction...
2. Walk slowly...
3. Sweep coil.

Notice I used the word "sweep" as opposed to "swing" ?

:P

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Btw... how did the scoop turn out ?
Howzabout a picture ?

OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT PRO,
Whites MXT TRACKER E-SERIES
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Btw... how did the scoop turn out ?
Howzabout a picture ?

Still waiting on stainless parts to complete, but feel it's in workable condition to give it a try. I did find that trying to foam fill a handle was more messier than I thought and finding a cap for the 1 1/16" handle is difficult since it's in between sizes of the 1" and 1 1/4" ones I've found. Also my Raptor guide handle and pull handle are scheduled for delivery late tomorrow. Want to complete before picture.

Thanks and HH

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sent link with articles I wrote - don't know if any will help you - some may inspire though

OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sent link with articles I wrote - don't know if any will help you - some may inspire though

Looks like some interesting articles. Will read when I get back from my morning hunt.

Thanks and HH

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still waiting on stainless parts to complete, but feel it's in workable condition to give it a try. I did find that trying to foam fill a handle was more messier than I thought and finding a cap for the 1 1/16" handle is difficult since it's in between sizes of the 1" and 1 1/4" ones I've found. Also my Raptor guide handle and pull handle are scheduled for delivery late tomorrow. Want to complete before picture.

Thanks and HH

Oh... forgot to add... "use rubber gloves when working with foam" :P

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This "helping build something" here online is a new thing for me. heh

My only prior experience is... Building it. :P

OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh... forgot to add... "use rubber gloves when working with foam" :P

A little late for that!!!!!

Thanks and HH

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
When I approach a new location, I will "prospect" it quickly in a zig-zag pattern at about waist deep for a few moments to establish whether or not the area is hunted based on the targets I find during this time. If I find targets and decide that I want to hunt the area, I will go out as deep as I can on foot (this depends on whether I am using a wet suit/shorts or chest waders). I will usually start on the right hand side. I will move parallel to the shoreline very slowly and sweep in a overlapping fashion. Once I reach the other side I will turn 180 degrees and head back just to the right of my previous foot steps or at about the same depth of water. But....before heading back on the first run I will stand still and swing the detector to the right (toward shore), touch it to the bottom and rotate around the coil 180 degrees (for me it is about 8'). I check the water level on my chest area at this point and this acts as a type of gauge for the next pass. I just make sure that the water level is a little above the previous spot so that I am sure to be overlapping. This is important because different lakes/swim areas have different grades of slope. This is not rocket science and honestly you would quickly get it figured out once you start. Sometimes the conditions will be in favor of dragging your scoop under water and leaving a mark for you to gauge from. Clear as mud??:tongue3:

Also, don't stop at knee depth... keep going. Some of my best finds have been below knee depth.

Most of all, have fun and enjoy the tranquility.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
When I hit lakes I hunt fast and as the Urban Prospector says in a zig-zag pattern. If I find ANY targets I slow down and hit all around them very slowly. If no others I go back to the zig-zag pattern until another target. This covers a lot of area and I think gives you the best idea of where to hunt. Sure you will miss things. But the rewards of doing it this way seem to work in my advantage. Good luck

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Casper is one of the Zen Masters here on Treasurenet you can take his info about metal detecting to the bank. Especially about his Fishers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread