Rubicon

Feb 9, 2007
Northeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Pro
Dam Repairs to be Made in Wayne County

Wednesday, June 6, 4:02 p.m.
By Rosa Yum

After nearly three years the state is finally going to begin repairs at the lake at Gouldsboro State Park. The spillway at the lake will be replaced, and work begins Thursday.

For nearly three years, the view from Professor Wayne Moreau's backyard has been a drained lake. The dam at the Gouldsboro State Park lake was condemned in January of 2005. The lake had to be drained.

According to the park services, by December of this year everything will be fixed and the lake will once again hold water.

"Hallelujah! It's been so long. We just hope that they can restore the fishing and the swimming that was here," Moreau said.

Country Surrey Inn is right next door to Professor Moreau's property. Mary Kelley has been running the inn for nearly four decades. Her business dropped significantly when the lake was drained.

"I try very hard to say six miles away is the beautiful Tobyhanna State Park," Kelly said. "And then if you want to rent a boat, rent for an hour I will pay for it, whatever. So a few old guests will do it, but it's been difficult financially."

Since the lake has been drained, grass has taken the place of water.
Residents said they hope once the lake is refilled, the grass will decay and fish re-stock.

Since an active rail line runs over the dam, the Delaware-Lackawanna Railway is one of several partners joining the state in the project.

"Even the United States Army Corps of Engineer has oversight in the dam construction project. So there were a lot of 'T's to cross and a lot 'I's to dot and it's all been done. And we're going to start. And you heard it here first," said park manager Michael Winters.

The project will take six months and the lake should be ready by December of this year. According to Winters, once the repairs are completed the lake could be filled overnight if we get a heavy rain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread