WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Biting, piercing, numbing, and many other synonyms could be used to describe how cold it was at Lake Erie last night. Except nippy, it was way beyond nippy! I was supposed to get pics of the tournament this weekend. When I got up there, I found out that the campground the team was staying in didn't have the water turned on yet. Actually, I don't think any of the campgrounds did. The shower house was more like a block of ice. I was not about to stay up there and rough it with those guys. I came back home first thing this morning. There will not be any fish pics from this tourney. But I did get some photos last night.

DSCN0850.JPG I adjusted the back light on this one.

DSCN0851.JPG

DSCN0852.JPG These are zooming in on West Sister Island

DSCN0854.JPG Beautiful sunset

DSCN0855.JPG Do you see those two towers? Those are what we call the Twin Towers located in Monroe, Mi.

DSCN0856.JPG This is how much I was able to zoom in on them.

These are pics of some ducks. Some I used auto leveling on, others I did nothing. I tried cropping, but they came out real blurry.

DSCN0857.JPG

DSCN0858.JPG

DSCN0859.JPG

DSCN0860.JPG

DSCN0862.JPG

I didn't do anything to these. I was practicing getting the shot lined up.

DSCN0864.JPG

DSCN0863.JPG

DSCN0865.JPG I like this one.

Thanks for looking!

~Sis digger

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you see those two towers? Those are what we call the Twin Towers located in Monroe, Mi.

Detroit Edison has a coal fired plant in Monroe, but additionally they have Fermi I and Fermi II nearby. Fermi I was subject of the book "The Day We Almost Lost Detroit", an early generation nuke plant which melted down a bit and they flooded it forever in 1957. I worked at Fermi II twice in the early 80's, loved the location. The towers are cooling towers where hot water is cooled for re-use in the Feedwater Systems.

I think Fermi II is still in operation? Actually, Andy Sabisch lives in the area - at least he did last year this time.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Detroit Edison has a coal fired plant in Monroe, but additionally they have Fermi I and Fermi II nearby. Fermi I was subject of the book "The Day We Almost Lost Detroit", an early generation nuke plant which melted down a bit and they flooded it forever in 1957. I worked at Fermi II twice in the early 80's, loved the location. The towers are cooling towers where hot water is cooled for re-use in the Feedwater Systems.

I think Fermi II is still in operation? Actually, Andy Sabisch lives in the area - at least he did last year this time.

I heard last night that they are closing Davis - Besse. I believe they said in 2020.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Really liked this one . . .hit it with a simple color grade (orange), some fill light, and clarity:

waves_1.jpg

Thanks for sharing. Never been to Lake Erie myself. Pretty place.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I heard last night that they are closing Davis - Besse. I believe they said in 2020.

I switched out of nukes in '94 when I left Perry Plant to move into industrial construction. I did 17 years of nuke plants - Perry, Fermi, Midland, TVA, Boston Edison, Diablo Canyon. My last nuke was Perry Plant as a permanent employee for 6 years ('88 to '94, my third time there) - the problem was call it "Mission Critical" = when you work at an operating nuke, you didn't own yourself, the plant owned you. Do your time, go home, get called back in, over and over and over. It actually caused my divorce as I was seldom home.

At the time Davis Besse was a seriously troubled plant. I'm rather amazed they're still operating. Cleveland Electric (The Illuminating Company) took over DB, and thank heavens they never sent me there.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh, and by the way! Nukes killed my metal detecting, I had no time for it anymore.

I'm sure it was '84 - maybe '85, one of the treasure hunting mags featured a Lake Erie TH'r, found 140 gold rings water detecting the beaches of Lake Erie in one single year. That corresponded with my working 7 - 13 hour days at Perry Plant with Johnson Controls. Half hour morning and night in turn over time to the next shift.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Really liked this one . . .hit it with a simple color grade (orange), some fill light, and clarity:

View attachment 1575033

Thanks for sharing. Never been to Lake Erie myself. Pretty place.

That looks good. I was so cold that I wasn't thinking straight. I just realized that I didn't have the flash up for any of those pics. Duh!

Hubby said last night, "Boy, you're really getting into this." Today while out on the lake he took a pic of the Toledo lighthouse and sent it to me. He says he's going to try and get me out there this year for me to photograph. Maybe our two hobbies will intermix.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I switched out of nukes in '94 when I left Perry Plant to move into industrial construction. I did 17 years of nuke plants - Perry, Fermi, Midland, TVA, Boston Edison, Diablo Canyon. My last nuke was Perry Plant as a permanent employee for 6 years ('88 to '94, my third time there) - the problem was call it "Mission Critical" = when you work at an operating nuke, you didn't own yourself, the plant owned you. Do your time, go home, get called back in, over and over and over. It actually caused my divorce as I was seldom home.

At the time Davis Besse was a seriously troubled plant. I'm rather amazed they're still operating. Cleveland Electric (The Illuminating Company) took over DB, and thank heavens they never sent me there.

Oh, and by the way! Nukes killed my metal detecting, I had no time for it anymore.

I'm sure it was '84 - maybe '85, one of the treasure hunting mags featured a Lake Erie TH'r, found 140 gold rings water detecting the beaches of Lake Erie in one single year. That corresponded with my working 7 - 13 hour days at Perry Plant with Johnson Controls. Half hour morning and night in turn over time to the next shift.

DB has had issues over the years we've been going up there. So, I guess it never stopped. We run into a lot of subcontractors working on the plants. Guys stay in trailers at camp sights, Most have a dog for companionship. I'm sure it would be hard on any marriage.

I want to detect the beaches. I've been reading the posts people have put on here about the legalities of it. My hubby has a friend who works for ODNR. I'm going to hopefully get the legalities worked out and maybe get hubby or a friend to detect this year. I'm wishing I started this detecting a long, long time ago! I'll do what I can while I can. Grandma detectorist.
TexasGrandma62_Head.gif%7Ec200

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I want to detect the beaches. I've been reading the posts people have put on here about the legalities of it. My hubby has a friend who works for ODNR. I'm going to hopefully get the legalities worked out and maybe get hubby or a friend to detect this year. I'm wishing I started this detecting a long, long time ago! I'll do what I can while I can. Grandma detectorist.

I'm sure you've worries about that. This has been my first 5 years getting back into the hobby. I was so afraid of going anywhere, did a Florida trip where I actually felt free in the water. I got into the hobby again as I was approaching retirement, just reading about it, joined TNet....

And I just started dreaming about it. I was very fortunate, some post here about Fairystone Park (local) and another user PM'd me asking the normal. Turned out he'd lived in my paternal grandfather's house - before it was sold. I purchased my maternal ancestors property, and I would have purchased Dad's ancestors property - each the maternal and paternal ancestor were original settlers in this area.

I never knew the paternal side was up for sale = lost opportunity, and that old house would still be standing.

But, anyway my buddy got me out, I really don't care what I find always mostly trash. I know of a number of times I've spent time out and found absolutely nothing but trash.

To wind up this story, I still feel the same way you do, but I'm determined to become more aggressive in pursuit of new sites.

I was living in Madison at the time, went to the beach there. Actually took my detector to the park at the beach (Tesoro Royal Sabre) one time and found a silver dime under a bush. And then as time progressed, in '88 I got tapped on the shoulder and run off by counties. But that was dirt digging.

I'd push it, call people - easy to find the government responsible persons. And of course maybe a club.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great photos , ( still love that zoom).

I like the Cooling Tower 's picture (Both), as you can kinda see the curvature of the Earth in your Zoom.
Guess it could be a lake swell ?

I know i'm late to the party 'I got logged off , reading the Thread'.

It def looked Cold...."Cold Ducks" lol

I may have DeepseekersADS old Treasure Mag , As I saved a bunch of old ones 'they were my internet ' in 1998-2000.
Think? they go back to 1985.

Loved the power-plant talk 'I never knew about the "Detroit meltdown" ; I know of 3 mile Island , & the Movie 'The China Syndrome' from I was little.

My S-Dad's brother in law worked at power plants on Turbines I think ??? He traveled around the US & the World.
He lost his Hearing cause of his job.

I find big Construction & Engineering fascinating.

Also it seems detecting is becoming an Out-Law hobby. Whole City's are off limits here ' Roswell ' & No lakes are Cool if ACOE or TVA, the Great Lakes are not Man made but I guess the shore-line can be prohibited heck Ocean Beaches as well.

Guess some places like to keep their trash.

Keep it up 'Sis' Wrightdigger.

P.S. Your not a Old Lady til 90.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Great photos , ( still love that zoom).

I like the Cooling Tower 's picture (Both), as you can kinda see the curvature of the Earth in your Zoom.
Guess it could be a lake swell ?

I know i'm late to the party 'I got logged off , reading the Thread'.

It def looked Cold...."Cold Ducks" lol

I may have DeepseekersADS old Treasure Mag , As I saved a bunch of old ones 'they were my internet ' in 1998-2000.
Think? they go back to 1985.

Loved the power-plant talk 'I never knew about the "Detroit meltdown" ; I know of 3 mile Island , & the Movie 'The China Syndrome' from I was little.

My S-Dad's brother in law worked at power plants on Turbines I think ??? He traveled around the US & the World.
He lost his Hearing cause of his job.

I find big Construction & Engineering fascinating.

Also it seems detecting is becoming an Out-Law hobby. Whole City's are off limits here ' Roswell ' & No lakes are Cool if ACOE or TVA, the Great Lakes are not Man made but I guess the shore-line can be prohibited heck Ocean Beaches as well.

Guess some places like to keep their trash.

Keep it up 'Sis' Wrightdigger.

P.S. Your not a Old Lady til 90.

Hey, Davers! Better late than never!

I like hearing everyone's stories. Just kind of cool getting here about other people in the world.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Ill send it to you ..(For free of-course).

Thank you, I really appreciate the thought. Just a picture of the cover would be wonderful if you find you have it.

I've looked a few times but never found it. The problem is that I don't remember exactly the specific magazine and date of issue.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread