Lake is Cold and Cell Phones Dont Float

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I hunted along the Lake bank...was trying to hang on to a tree branch with one hand and retrieve a bottle in the lake with the other....when plink...splash...sink....went my cell phone out of my pocket....oh my gosh :o...I had no choice except to dive in after it.....to say the lake was cold ....doesnt even cover it...plus I had my heavy felt lined boots on and went in up to my hips...brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....but I got the phone ....yeehaw and then dried it off and I cannot believe it but it worked ....and has worked fine since....
So after this amazing feat of stupidity ....I went home and put the waders on and then put cell phone in a baggy....and tied a little key life saver on it...hahahaha.....but it was so worth it because I know you all are just amazed and astounded over my finds for that day !

For those of you wondering....that melted lump of lead on the bottom of picture used to be a spoon.... ;)

Attachments

• So worth it.JPG
    So worth it.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 877
  • so worth it 2.JPG
    so worth it 2.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 874
  • so worth it 3.JPG
    so worth it 3.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 873
Upvote 0

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
glad to hear it still works !! love the plink sound.. ;D ;D
cool finds,, especially the lead spoon !!,, ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Green1 said:
glad to hear it still works !! love the plink sound.. ;D ;D
cool finds,, especially the lead spoon !!,, ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
The "Plink" sound was the sound it makes when your phone hits the small thin layer of ice lake before crashing though......

markgPA

Jan 13, 2006
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites PrizmV, Minelab Explorer SE
Hi gypsy
I can't believe the phone still works and I can't believe you went in after it!
HH
Mark G

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
markgPA said:
Hi gypsy
I can't believe the phone still works and I can't believe you went in after it!
HH
Mark G

Hey I need my phone! And maybe if I would have thought about it ..I wouldnt have done it...but there was no hesitation until I was already on the way in...actually about knee deep I began to have serious regrets..... :D

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Gypsy,

nice finds for the day.

Sounds like it was an interesting day ;D

Dang, that your phone still works. Few drop
is all it takes and most go out.

Would love to have gotten a shot of you
in the water ;D

have a good un............

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
Gypsy,

in the water ;D

LOL...Would have to have your camera set on high speed Sherm...because trust me I wasnt posing for pics! Best part was I still had to dig a few coins on the way back to the truck....hahaha...was a tad froze.....

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
gypsyheart said:
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
Gypsy,

in the water ;D

LOL...Would have to have your camera set on high speed Sherm...because trust me I wasnt posing for pics! Best part was I still had to dig a few coins on the way back to the truck....hahaha...was a tad froze.....

Gypsys' Water Ballet ;)

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I didn't know you could dry out a cell phone, I found one in a lake this year. Don't think it will work as well as yours though. Hey anyway, nice bottles and do I see a silve quarter in that pile of coins.

Thanks for the post and great story.

HH and keep dry, Ringfinder

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
ringfinder said:
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I didn't know you could dry out a cell phone, I found one in a lake this year. Don't think it will work as well as yours though. Hey anyway, nice bottles and do I see a silve quarter in that pile of coins.

Thanks for the post and great story.

HH and keep dry, Ringfinder

Yes you can dry out a cell phone and thanks to my lightening quick reflexes and the speed of my dive it didnt spend much time in the water. Of course it could have been saved due to hypothermia setting in so quickly.....
And yes there are some nice rosies wheats and a few older quarters in that amazing pile of finds......Once my hands unthaw I might clean them

DigMO

Sep 29, 2006
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX,Whites 6000 Di PRO SL
Can't believe your phone still works-very lucky-well maybe not!Bet you were freezing your.... off.Glad your ok and the phone is too.Nice finds by the way.

kg6yll

Oct 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Nice story sounds like you had quite the adventure today

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Ya know gypsy, they do a polar bear down here at devils lake...... :D

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds Gypsy.

To bad about the phone. They are really durable though. My kids in the past have thrown cell phones fully submerged into water. I would dry them out and they would work like new.

I actually just bought a new sprint phone about 6 months ago. I was out detecting and came home one day. You know how small phones are. Took off my dirty clothes.

Left it in the pile to be washed. Wife that evening ran the clothes through the washer. We found the phone in the washer when it was done. I dried it out and it worked great again.

HH Jer

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
gold fish said:
Ya know gypsy, they do a polar bear down here at devils lake...... :D
Oh? Thanks ....I am going to be hunting the shoreline of Lake Michigan Friday so maybe I can get a quick practice dip or two in..... :P

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bubble, Bubble, Gypsy your cell phone is ringing and congrats on your swim,i mean finds

tinpan ;D ;D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread