Lake Lanier Hunting

billohio6248

Apr 20, 2008
Cumming Georgia
There are many posts about Lake Lanier, but I can tell you from experience they will at a minimum kick you out if they catch you. I was fortunate in that the ranger was my age (60+) and just asked me to leave. He did tell me if one of the young hot shot rangers caught me they would have written me a $250 ticket and confiscated my equipment.

The beaches they allow you to hunt are about 30' by 30' and pounded.

I have been told by many posters on this and other forums that there are many other good spots in the area so don't get discoureged. However, after logging hundreds of miles I have not found more than a total of 5 coins, all clad, anywhere. And I am always looking over my shoulder for rangers and cops. Even though they do not post "no metal detecting" on the rules signs, you never know what the lawman might do.

We have turned into a country of rules and restrictions.

If anyone has any suggestions in Cumming and a 30 mile radius I sure would be appreciative. My email is :( [email protected]

I have not worked up the nerve to ask landowners for permission but I am getting there

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
Billohio, have to agree and disagree, The beaches are much bigger and I have found alot of change their plus a mulitude of garbage. have never had aproblem with rangers and when i pay I tell them what I am going to do and they act like they care less. On the other hand they are hit hard. Most of my hunts are on private land and it can take awhile to get permission as there is alot of that civil war yankeeism still going around. My approach is soft and I try to gain their trust way before I pop the magic question. If you want to hunt sometime let me know. Send me a PM

Tecumseh

Feb 23, 2007
Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I did some md'ing at Lake Lanier with no problems. Of course I found nothing but trash, but I'm pretty new at this.

I did speak with a couple of people who said that the beaches there in the evening can be a treasure trove of gold necklaces and jewelery, once the swimmers leave.

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
I have hunted in one of the public beach parks at least ten times with my scuba gear and a underwater detector. I have never been harassed by the park rangers and I know they have seen me suited up and carrying my detector. I generally go in the morning before the swimmers get out. The place I go to is only a couple of miles from downtown Cumming if that gives you any hints BillOhio.

The worst I can imagine is just a stern warning. I would be pissed and fight any ticket, and they're not gonna take my equipment without an altercation of some sort.

Stan

riverguy

May 23, 2009
About three weeks ago I hunted Federal Park Beaches on the east side of the lake. I didn't see any rangers or officials. One plain close cop in his black cruiser eating an early lunch. the maintenance crew picking up trash just said hello to me. All I found was metal trash and pop tops and after getting stung on my swinging arm by a pissed off yellow jacket, I called it quits. This was not a nest but a single yellow jacket. I wonder if the metal detector signals pissed him off. Well he pissed me off, but he quickly flew away before I could swat him. Boy they hurt.

My thought if it is not posted then just keep a low profile. Oh, I didn't have a sand scoop and that was a mistake.

chemist100

Jan 21, 2007
Flowery Branch, North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
I live on the south side of the lake in Hall county, there are many camp grounds that have beenn active for awhile. I have not had the chance to check any out, but if anyone would like to go just let me know. As for the concern of being told to leave, I doubt if any one would say anything. If the do, please tell them to refresh their memory of 2009 CFR title 36 section 327.14 part d. also see sections 327.15 and 327.16

H

HAVE DETECTOR WILL TRAVEL

DiveWrecks said:
I have hunted in one of the public beach parks at least ten times with my scuba gear and a underwater detector. I have never been harassed by the park rangers and I know they have seen me suited up and carrying my detector. I generally go in the morning before the swimmers get out. The place I go to is only a couple of miles from downtown Cumming if that gives you any hints BillOhio.

The worst I can imagine is just a stern warning. I would be pissed and fight any ticket, and they're not gonna take my equipment without an altercation of some sort.

Stan

You are the man Stan! I've always said, They can have it. When they pry it from my cold dead hands.

H

HAVE DETECTOR WILL TRAVEL

On the serious side though, I couldn't imagine bonking some D.N.R agent over the head with my coil. Followed by a rather quick pummeling from his partner. Hell I could gift wrap it for them, pay the dumb fine and be far better off than having to try and afford a good attorney. So would you I believe. I see them a lot when I'm in the woods, the ones that do eye me have either just waved or asked me to wear orange. So I can't say I have ever had a beef with them. All this may have changed since they are probably hurting for money like many of us, maybe it's time to start packing the gift wrap. How many Indian relics are you gonna find with a metal detector? and if you did find some kind of metal Indian dohickie what fun would it be just taking it home and plastering it on your wall or selling it on the black market? You would probably end up getting ripped off or worse, busted. It's probably not that they really care if your metal detecting but rather it's just another way for them to collect revenue. It's funny how Georgians left a debtors prison and traveled far away just to make there very own!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread