Lake Lanier - Is it really off limits?

jbessl9497

Jul 28, 2012
Loganville GA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett Propointer
Ok so I read all of the posts that said that if caught detecting you would be at a minimum asked to leave and possibly fined but after some research, Im not so sure that they are enforcing the laws as they are written.

Federal law Title 36 Chapter 3 Part 327.14 Sub(d)
(d) The use of metal detectors is permitted on designated beaches or other previously disturbed areas unless prohibited by the District Commander for reasons of protection of archaeological, historical or paleontological resources. Specific information regarding metal detector policy and designated use areas is available at the Manager's Office. Items found must be handled in accordance with §§ 327.15 and 327.16 except for non-identifiable items such as coins of value less than $25.
Public property.

So that says it is OK to hunt as long as the district commander says it is ok. So I looked up what the "District Commander" says in the Lake Lanier Regulations:
27. Cultural and Historic Resources
The National Historic Preservation Act, Archeological Resources Protection Act and other
historic and cultural resource protection laws were provided by Congress to protect historic
and cultural sites and recover data. If it is determined that a previously issued permit
infringes upon or impacts a historic or cultural site, the permit will be rescinded or modified.
Permits will not be issued that involve general or specific use or alteration of historic sites
unless culturally cleared by appropriate agencies. The use of metal detectors or other landbased
electronic or nonelectronic detection devices are prohibited except by written
permission from the project’s Operations Manager.
Lake Lanier has an approved Historic Properties Management Plan (HPMP), dated April
1997, detailing the characteristics of each significant Historic Resource Site. The plan was
prepared under provisions of ER 1130-2-438 and a number of Acts, Executive Orders,
CFR’s, ER’s and Guidance Letters. Previous historic resources investigations occurred in the
late 1930’s, 1950-01, 1978, and 1987.
As a result of ongoing consultation with the Georgia State Historic Preservation Officer
(SHPO), it was determined that most project lands with a high potential for historic
properties have been surveyed. Historic resource surveys of Lake Lanier have identified over
600 historic sites on Government property. Data recovery was conducted at several
prehistoric archeological sites prior to impoundment. Since passage of the National Historic
Preservation Act in 1966, data recovery has been conducted at two prehistoric sites that were
determined eligible for the National Register of Historic Places. The National Register
eligibility of five (5) historic properties remains to be determined.
2004 SMP

I was not able to find a definitive map or list of "Historic" places but just my common sense tells me that if the Corps of Engineers were so tight about protecting these sites, then surely they would not place a public park there for it to be disturbed. So I know this has been a little lengthy but it seems to me that any beach and most if not all camp sites would be fair game to us. Correct????
If so I would think that if you are armed with the knowledge of the law then you can tell them to go pound sand :violent1: ! And this is the unofficial opinion of a former police officer.

H

HAVE DETECTOR WILL TRAVEL

You can metal detect all day long on Army Core property but you can not dig or take any thing.

WildDigger

Sep 22, 2012
Winder Ga
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030 & At Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HAVE DETECTOR WILL TRAVEL said:
You can metal detect all day long on Army Core property but you can not dig or take any thing.

Wrong. You can MD. All the beaches and water but no grass. And you can not scuba hunt. That is per the main man himself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread