Lake Orion Contruction Site

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
Not sure if anyone else searched the area, but a few weeks ago, myself and 2 fellow treasure hunters hit the construction zone in Lake Orion, MI pretty hard for a few days.

I only went there twice and my good finds were limited to an 1883 Indianhead Penny and a 1923 Mercury Dime. That was the first time I went.

For obvious reasons, I didn't post the new found hotspot.

Anyway, the first time I went there, I went with just Jim. Rick had went there first and found a 1847 Large Cent. So he told us about it, and we hit it on a Sunday like 3 or 4 weeks ago.

So Jim and I go out there. We each headed to opposite sides of the street. Ahh...and he got the good side.

Every 30 minutes or so...I'd wander over to him and he would show me more goodies. I'm not kidding you...it had to be up there with as good of a day as you could possibly have!!!

In about 3 hours, I managed only 2 good finds, the Merc and the IH.

I'm not kidding you when I tell you his finds...

He got a 1876S Seated Quarter, an 185? & 1882 Seated Dimes, 1912 Barber Dime, and a 3 cent silver.

He got 2 Shield Nickels, a half dozen Indianheads, and an old copper coin that we cant identify. It was pretty big, but pretty smooth as well.

So Rick and Jim hit it a few times together and on one outing Jim found an 1837 Large Cent that looks unbelievable. He also an 1848 LC. Rick got an 1828 Large Cent on that occasion. Rick also found an 1820 Bank of Montreal Penny. Jim probably nailed 25 Indianhead total out of that place, but he lives pretty close to there so he got out there more.

It was pretty cool.

Anyway, the Lake Orion Review did a story on us, so I figured I'd share it with ya.

The guy that wrote the article got it pretty close, but he wrote that I got into detecting because of unsolved mysteries of old towns. I said "It was an Insolved Mysteries episode years ago about the famous Beal Treasure that got me into it."

The part about old towns burning down in the late 1800's was simply to point out that a lot of towns lost part of the history with records burning down years ago.

It was 2 different topics that somehow he combined into one.

Deerhunter24

Here is the link if you want to check out the article:

http://www.oxfordleader.com/Article...13121-Finding-Orions-buried-treasure.html#123

Also, interested if any of you guys happened to search that area and make any finds you'd like to share. Interested with what else came out of there.

And here is a few pictures I took of Jim's coins with my cell phone.

Attachments

• JimLC.jpg
    JimLC.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 191
  • JimSilver.jpg
    JimSilver.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 188

xmarks73

Jan 1, 2011
S.E Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Ace 250, and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That had to be an awesome time! congrats to you and your hunting buddies. :headbang:

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
those are some awesome construction finds, I've never had much luck at those sites. man that largie is gorgeous. congrats to you on your keepers. :thumbsup:

Brentallica

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer bunch of coins!! Largies and Seated Silver. Gotta love that! Congrats :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! Congrats to you all! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread