dogteam

Jul 31, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, 8" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Canada...but....
I was curious if anyone is searching Lake Shasta in California now that the water level is so low. Both gold mining communities and indian camps being uncovered from what I read. I see conflicting info online from news outlets, from "Grab your metal detectors!" to "Touch anything and expect a huge fine."

Any other info on hunting newly exposed shorelines on other lakes would be of interest as well, I think.
I've heard in the past that, in Texas in particular, The Corps of Engineers comes down pretty hard on anyone hunting low reservoirs. I imagine things vary from state to state?

Cheers,
dt

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Was your question about the potential prospects of md'ing there ? Or was your question about the legalities of md'ing there ?

If the Q was about potential prospects, I'm not sure what (if any) towns or stage stop-type places were beneath those waters anyhow. And if there WERE some past structures there, be aware that you could be dealing with silted fill problem. Would depend on where it was located: slope versus bottom, etc....

And if your Q was about rings/coins from swimmers of the post-construction era, a few thoughts: That is a muddy lake. Not as clear and sandy-bottomed as something like nearby Whiskeytown lake, for instance. So I'm not sure how popular and dedicated it was to swimming. But assuming there were swim beaches there, then be aware that the water levels have been up and down MANY times already in the past 3 to 4 decades. Granted, perhaps not as low as the current lows, but .... just saying .... be aware that there's been md'ing on prior swim beaches during past droughts as well. Ie.: it might not be magical virgin zones that you're imagining.

If you meant legalities:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shasta_Lake

".... It is within the Whiskeytown–Shasta–Trinity National Recreation Area, operated by the Shasta-Trinity National Forest..."

I know that national forests are not dis-allowed. In fact, they have an express ALLOWANCE , doh! Not sure about "national recreation areas". Personally , I highly doubt anyone cares, and I would not hesitate to do it. The lone scary story to have ever surfaced out of CA was a singular fluke from Folsom lake (state park). But that was ONLY because it was at an admitted sensitive monument set of ruins, and had been the subject of media scrutiny for weeks leading up to that. So they just "made an example out of a lone individual". Ok, fine then: avoid "obvious historic monuments". Problem solved :)

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used to live nearby in Fresno for 24 years and water ski Shasta almost every year growing up. It is surrounded by the Trinity National Forest and there were rangers everywhere back in the 80's-2000. I have not been there in 15 years or so since moving to Colorado so cannot comment on what it is like today.

EDIT: Tom posted while I walked away from PC....my bad for rehashed info.

Last edited:

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
there is awareness of metal detecting going on, along the shoreline of the lake, and all law enforcement agencies has that activity on their radar..., even the USFS,
however, there is a huge number of locations of mining camps, fishing resorts, mines and towns, under the lake, that will/are been exposed - so it
is up to the digger to decide whether to hunt these locations or not - is jail time worth the stuff you recover....?
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

OP
OP
dogteam

dogteam

Jul 31, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, 8" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was your question about the potential prospects of md'ing there ? Or was your question about the legalities of md'ing there ?

If the Q was about potential prospects, I'm not sure what (if any) towns or stage stop-type places were beneath those waters anyhow. And if there WERE some past structures there, be aware that you could be dealing with silted fill problem. Would depend on where it was located: slope versus bottom, etc....

And if your Q was about rings/coins from swimmers of the post-construction era, a few thoughts: That is a muddy lake. Not as clear and sandy-bottomed as something like nearby Whiskeytown lake, for instance. So I'm not sure how popular and dedicated it was to swimming. But assuming there were swim beaches there, then be aware that the water levels have been up and down MANY times already in the past 3 to 4 decades. Granted, perhaps not as low as the current lows, but .... just saying .... be aware that there's been md'ing on prior swim beaches during past droughts as well. Ie.: it might not be magical virgin zones that you're imagining.

If you meant legalities:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shasta_Lake

".... It is within the Whiskeytown—Shasta—Trinity National Recreation Area, operated by the Shasta-Trinity National Forest..."

I know that national forests are not dis-allowed. In fact, they have an express ALLOWANCE , doh! Not sure about "national recreation areas". Personally , I highly doubt anyone cares, and I would not hesitate to do it. The lone scary story to have ever surfaced out of CA was a singular fluke from Folsom lake (state park). But that was ONLY because it was at an admitted sensitive monument set of ruins, and had been the subject of media scrutiny for weeks leading up to that. So they just "made an example out of a lone individual". Ok, fine then: avoid "obvious historic monuments". Problem solved :)

:)
Thank you, Tom. My question was unfocused, for sure, and somehow you managed a very complete and coherent answer.
The media often make it sound like the newly exposed lake bed is somehow littered with lithic artifacts and who knows what else, attracting roving bands of "looters". Conversely, the pics that I've seen seem to indicate, as you mention, that anything of interest is probably buried under a few decades of silt. And yes, my understanding is that the water level has been even lower, at least once.

I've always been fascinated with the stories of the "mudlarks" that glean artifacts from the Thames at low tide. Used to hear stories of great points showing up when Texas reservoirs get low. Just made me wonder what the real story was in California...Shasta is obviously not the only lake that is low. Curious if it was a situation that anyone had investigated. Not like I'd make it there any time soon...just wondering.

Similar situation here in western Canada. We're suffering the same drought. I've heard of discoveries at Lake Diefenbaker in Saskatchewan because of low water...but the stories are 3rd hand, and I haven't even gotten that far yet. ;)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
there is awareness of metal detecting going on, along the shoreline of the lake, and all law enforcement agencies has that activity on their radar..., even the USFS.....

eye-mustdigtreasure: Do you really think this is high on their radar (as your post seems to say) ? I mean, seriously now, how many legal hassles (beyond a scram) have you heard of ? In the entire state of CA, I can think of a single actual incident. So ... far from being something high on anyone's radar, I think that singular incident could be marked up as a fluke. And to be totally honest, the guy "could have known better" (with a quick check of any md'ing forum, for the particular place he was going to). A rogue beginner who waltzed out in front of bored archies at an obvious historic landmark ... WHAT DID HE EXPECT ?

Thus no, the drought plagued lakes here are not crawling with "all law enforcement agencies waiting to pounce on md'rs".

..... - is jail time worth the stuff you recover....?

Do you see the trick of what you write here ? If "jail time" were the automatic outcome of (gasp) detecting @ a dried up lake, then everything you're saying would logically follow. I mean, duh, NO ONE wants "jail time". But to say that merely presumes your own position, to begin with. That there "will be jail time" if you detect. Since when is that a given in this situation ?

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live at a lake partially surrounded by forestry property here in so.cal.Its very low and we hunt it all the time.only had one young ranger approach us and ask what we were looking for.This is the key.You are looking for modern coin drops and fishing lures etc.You WILL have lead sinkers in your trash pouch and they will be happy to see them removed.

He hung out for a few minutes asking the usual questions,"how much do those cost","where do you buy them"etc.Was a nice guy and have seen him since,he just waves or gives the thumbs up as he drives by.Never talk about old stuff,its about modern coins.tourist drops.That makes it completely legal to be there.
:occasion14:

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom_in_CA!
Yes, you are right, there was immediate response from from the pencil-pushing archaeologist or other official said, "we must protect our cultural heritiage - let's
put a scare tactic article in the newspaper, and keep those looters to a minimum...!"
Indeed the high value of historic (and prehistoric) resources within the lake was a concern, but manpower was strapped, and the humongus area to be patroled
made the job of law enforcement almost impossible - thus, the news article....
I figure a cheery-pickin' detectorist would make no impact on the total LOCATION of concern.....so, you see where I stand!
Happy hunting and good luck to you, friend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions