lake superior black sand and a courts vain...

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found some black sand ,but not thick it's in thin layers scooped up several dark patches and paned but can't seem to see any yellow what should i do....

Plus I no were there is a vain of quarzt a couple of feet thick and I want to say two stories high It's been a few years since I been there, for got all about it till lately would that be a good spot to dry pan...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well...

williamsingr

Mar 15, 2012
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you didnt find any color then move on. Yes try the quartz vein you found. I found some black sand west of the Marias on the beach but no color either, where did you find it? I heard somewhere around the Hurons good color has been found in the black sand. I was thinking about checking it out. I just found a lot of black sand on a beach of Lake Huron with gold and silver but its so small you need a shaker table to separate it out and there just isnt enough there to make it worth wild.

OP
OP
L

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
west of calumet, Ive looked for gold in Huron mountain, the west branch and the robarg black sand no color never tried the lake shore on the mouth of the Huron river yet...

Last edited:

williamsingr

Mar 15, 2012
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been wanting to go into the Hurons searching for nuggets. I am going to try and get out there later in the year will let you know if you want to join. Was thinking about detecting some of the ghost towns out that way aslo.

OP
OP
L

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well went back too look for the Quartz vain, all I found was an old lat twist wire fence from the old mining days. It looks like an expose fault line opening their were pieces of Quartz still there the hill we clime was at lest three stories tall. So muck for the wall of Quarts, but I took my mountain bike all in all it was a 30 mile ride, back pack weighed 18 pounds. I paned the Griatot river. pronounced like "grass shit" river. The rivers are up it was hard to get close with out getting soaked. hardly any black sand that I could fined. Found one lead slug about 6 inches deep with the 5900 Di Pro iron targets every were. I know I spelled Quartz wrong I new that didn't look rite,how do I change that...

williamsingr

Mar 15, 2012
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No worries I now what you meant. You should use your detector to check up high on the banks when the river ran through 100 yrs ago thats the places to find nuggets. I checked another beach loaded with black sand and found a lot of silver flecks the size of a pin head, if only silver was worth more it would be well worth setting up and recovering it, oh well maybe in the future it will be but until then it can keep piling up. Going out later to check another beach north of me a bit. cross your fingers I will find gold.

OP
OP
L

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
williamsingr,

let us know how you did..
you want to hook up this year.. do some detecting... we can show this forum what it's all a bout.share some pictures of Gods country.

Last edited:

williamsingr

Mar 15, 2012
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds good to me, hopefully it will warm up again, went to check out the other beach yesterday but it was all rock, found a fishing lure and left. Seems like mostly silver on this side of the U.P. I was thinking about doing some scubba later in the summer of the one beach and see if I can find larger silver since there is so much washing up on the beach with the black sand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread