DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to my local farm where some old pasture is being prepared for a reseeding! Very dead & dry almost right down to soil level.
The friendly baby Ram 'Minty' was there to greet me - just hoping he won't be too aggressive when he gets older!

[youtube=425,350]Aqu5DQbEaNo[/youtube]

Found only a few coins, George III 1818 Sixpence, George V 1918 Threepence and 7 coppers from George III, Victoria, Edward VII and George V
Coins-George-III-V.jpg

This small fragment (Chalice, Goblet, Vase,?) looks pretty old - any suggestions what its off would be most welcome - Its part of the 'rim or lip' off something. In a shield-like design it has the initials 'W G' or 'W C' and a star underneath. The 'W' is a double 'V', used from the 7th century until around 1300 here when it was then replaced by the single 'W' - one for the museum I think
Chalice-Fragment.jpg

[youtube=425,350]SHy9KIUDBtM[/youtube]

Other old items include this bronze-alloy ring (carpet ring has been suggested) and the Golf tee-shaped object ( I found a few of these last year and they still remain a mystery - similar objects have been found on Iron-Age settlements.
Ring-Golf-Tee.jpg

2 lead Bag Seals, Lead weight, Steelyard Weight and a Musket Ball.
Bag-seals-Weights-Musk-ball.jpg

A few nice buttons, buckles, etc.
Buttons-buckles.jpg

and this small 12-stoned Circular Jewelrey piece (only 4 stones remaining) Perhaps early Victorian Costume Jewelrey
Costume-Jewelry.jpg

Also found this very weathered Parys Mine Company PMC Halfpenny 1788 Token - so corroded I needed the side of a pencil and thin paper (brass rubbing) to make out the initials and date.
Parys-Mine-Company-Token-17.jpg
More of the Parys Pennies here: http://www.amlwchhistory.co.uk/parys/penniesvalue.htm
The 2 holes made in it isn't part of the manufacture and was either made so the token could be used as a button (The Druid profile is quite pretty) or so the token could be sown into a pocket or garment so as not to be lost.

Before I left the farmer's wife gave me some freshly-picked mushrooms.. mmmmm.
Mushrooms.jpg

They'll be ploughing the field anyday now - I've asked them to go as deep as possible!!! :D

Speak soon.
David.

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff. Back around the time I started detecting I found one of those pennies. I thought it was very cool, and my find even had some initials carved in it.... which was cool because I was finding Rev War buttons too. Anyway, that was back in the day where I thought taking a little bottle of soap and water to put my old coins in was a good idea! :-\ I wasn't always a detecting super genius. ;D So of course what happened was my beautiful green patina got washed away ruining a very cool find. We had actually found another site 20 minutes later so it was 15 old coppers that "got a good clean" that day.

PS... On the link you posted they have different pricing, but mostly the same picture. I was ready to email to buy one of the pennies for 12.00 until I seen it was listed 3 times. :laughing7:

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Nice finds David :icon_thumright:, the find with the initials on it looks like a fragment of a crotal bell. The letters being the makers initials.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
robfinds said:
Nice finds David :icon_thumright:, the find with the initials on it looks like a fragment of a crotal bell. The letters being the makers initials.

Bingo W = Wells Foundry

David,

Looks like a good collection of stuff, & well worth the effort :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
DavidBeard

DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
robfinds said:
That's what I thought Rob when I first dug it up - Another Crotal Bell - but after looking at the curve of the fragment I thought the entire circle of the 'rim' would be far too large for a Crotal - And also those initials would be upside down. ???

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DavidBeard said:
robfinds said:
That's what I thought Rob when I first dug it up - Another Crotal Bell - but after looking at the curve of the fragment I thought the entire circle of the 'rim' would be far too large for a Crotal - And also those initials would be upside down. ???
not a prob for a crotal bell:
http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/pages/crotal-bells.html

txconservative

Jul 26, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350 / Cobra Beach Magnet / Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Those are some great finds ! The ram is so cute !

Are those psychadelic mushrooms? haha :icon_flower:

OP
OP
DavidBeard

DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BttleDiggerDrew

Aug 12, 2010
Rockland County, NY
DavidBeard said:
Went back to my local farm where some old pasture is being prepared for a reseeding! Very dead & dry almost right down to soil level.
The friendly baby Ram 'Minty' was there to greet me - just hoping he won't be too aggressive when he gets older!

[youtube=425,350]Aqu5DQbEaNo[/youtube]

Found only a few coins, George III 1818 Sixpence, George V 1918 Threepence and 7 coppers from George III, Victoria, Edward VII and George V

This small fragment (Chalice, Goblet, Vase,?) looks pretty old - any suggestions what its off would be most welcome - Its part of the 'rim or lip' off something. In a shield-like design it has the initials 'W G' or 'W C' and a star underneath. The 'W' is a double 'V', used from the 7th century until around 1300 here when it was then replaced by the single 'W' - one for the museum I think

[youtube=425,350]SHy9KIUDBtM[/youtube]

Other old items include this bronze-alloy ring (carpet ring has been suggested) and the Golf tee-shaped object ( I found a few of these last year and they still remain a mystery - similar objects have been found on Iron-Age settlements.

2 lead Bag Seals, Lead weight, Steelyard Weight and a Musket Ball.

A few nice buttons, buckles, etc.

and this small 12-stoned Circular Jewelrey piece (only 4 stones remaining) Perhaps early Victorian Costume Jewelrey

Also found this very weathered Parys Mine Company PMC Halfpenny 1788 Token - so corroded I needed the side of a pencil and thin paper (brass rubbing) to make out the initials and date.

More of the Parys Pennies here: http://www.amlwchhistory.co.uk/parys/penniesvalue.htm
The 2 holes made in it isn't part of the manufacture and was either made so the token could be used as a button (The Druid profile is quite pretty) or so the token could be sown into a pocket or garment so as not to be lost.

Before I left the farmer's wife gave me some freshly-picked mushrooms.. mmmmm.

They'll be ploughing the field anyday now - I've asked them to go as deep as possible!!! :D

Speak soon.
David.

Gotta love those horse mushrooms...(agaricus?)

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I'd suggest the mushrooms were either Agaricus arvensis (aka Horse mushrooms) or Agaricus bisporus, which is common in Europe. Roughly equivalent to crimini mushrooms.

I enjoyed the ram (with a hint of "minty" freshness? or is that mint jelly?) as well as the finds. George III: unlikely to ever be found where I'm at.

tuatara

Jan 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer SE
Though nobody can seriously call Geo III a good looker, I am always happy to see him ;D. I found a shilling of 1816 last week. I like the livery button and the seals :headbang:.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bunch of digs! The vid was cool also.

OP
OP
DavidBeard

DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tuatara said:
...Though nobody can seriously call Geo III a good looker, I am always happy to see him...
Oh I don't know Tuatara! He doesn't look too bad in the 1770 'Five Guineas' coin - (would love to find one of those!) - The silver always come up good, and even finding just a sixpence of his makes the afternoon out all worthwhile - the copper ones on the other hand mostly come up so corroded its hard to tell what they are, except for the Cartwheels which are unmistakable (so many of them around here!)

tuatara

Jan 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer SE
...Though nobody can seriously call Geo III a good looker, I am always happy to see him...

Oh I don't know Tuatara! He doesn't look too bad in the 1770 'Five Guineas' coin - (would love to find one of those!) - The silver always come up good, and even finding just a sixpence of his makes the afternoon out all worthwhile - the copper ones on the other hand mostly come up so corroded its hard to tell what they are, except for the Cartwheels which are unmistakable (so many of them around here!)

:laughing9: Everyone looks gorgeous on gold coins, David. I really don't know why :dontknow:. Geo resembles a bit one of those bull-necked Roman Emperors. Yeah, the coppers are the problem. Here they are more worn-out than corroded, though. Too much time spent in circulation :-[ But I managed to find a haypenny of 1824 in a decent shape. Still striving for a cartwheel.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DavidBeard said:
tuatara said:

I agree Geo Silver makes any hunt worthwhile, specially the earlier milled stuff which come up less than hammered.

BttleDiggerDrew

Aug 12, 2010
Rockland County, NY
Tuberale said:
I'd suggest the mushrooms were either Agaricus arvensis (aka Horse mushrooms) or Agaricus bisporus, which is common in Europe. Roughly equivalent to crimini mushrooms.

I enjoyed the ram (with a hint of "minty" freshness? or is that mint jelly?) as well as the finds. George III: unlikely to ever be found where I'm at.

Didn't know if anybody would notice the Agaricus slip..lol Good one :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread