Lamb Site Clovis Collection Sold at Auction

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bidding began at $5000 and next bid was $50,000. That was a clue. I dropped out soon after. (common' man.....just joking) Sold for a cool $95,000 plus 23% buyers premium.
For those unfamiliar with this Western New York site, here's a brief summary.

PAGE 1 CLOVIS CACHE LAMB SITE GE

I was told by an auction attendee that the winning bidder was a Central New York collector I happen to know, who is affiliated with New York State Archeology Association.

Lamb1.JPG

Upvote 0

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Wow, I hadn't heard it was going up for auction.

My guess is had they done a better job of publicizing the sale they could have done a lot better than that price. There are 6 or 7 top quality Clovis points in there, plus the being from a well known site.

I saw the auction listing on Live (I remember the other frames) but I guess I just assumed it was the book or missed it in the clutter of the listings.

Sunny Side

Banned
Sep 15, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few of those Clovis points were found broken and re glued if Iā€™m not mistaken. Iā€™m trying to remember if this is the site Gramely worked on.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it wasn't for Mike Gramly, this stuff would still be in the ground. Gramly did what no other arkie would or could do. He allowed the property owner to retain possession of the artifacts. Chris Lamb wouldn't let any others dig it as the artifacts would have gone to the state. The state has enough stuff. I'm glad these artifacts are in a private collection now. Those wanting to view the artifacts can purchase casts of all of them from Lithic Casting Lab in Troy, IL. I hope the Lambs enjoy their nice profit. Gary

OP
OP
OntarioArch

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A few of those Clovis points were found broken and re glued if Iā€™m not mistaken. Iā€™m trying to remember if this is the site Gramely worked on.

Yep. Gramly wrote a book about it: The Lamb Site : a pioneering Clovis encampment available used on Amazon for only $64.

lamb22.JPG

OP
OP
OntarioArch

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If it wasn't for Mike Gramly, this stuff would still be in the ground. Gramly did what no other arkie would or could do. He allowed the property owner to retain possession of the artifacts. Chris Lamb wouldn't let any others dig it as the artifacts would have gone to the state. The state has enough stuff. I'm glad these artifacts are in a private collection now. Those wanting to view the artifacts can purchase casts of all of them from Lithic Casting Lab in Troy, IL. I hope the Lambs enjoy their nice profit. Gary

TPoint - why would the artifacts have 'gone to the state' if any others had dug it? Trying to understand issues surrounding these types of digs. It WAS private property, after all!

OP
OP
OntarioArch

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A few of those Clovis points were found broken and re glued if Iā€™m not mistaken.

From Lithic Casting Lab site referenced above:

"All of the Lamb site fluted points are broken and fragmented from years of contact with agricultural equipment."

Sunny Side

Banned
Sep 15, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From Lithic Casting Lab site referenced above:

"All of the Lamb site fluted points are broken and fragmented from years of contact with agricultural equipment."

I remember Gramley speaking about this site at a Ohio Arch show in Columbus Ohio. I thought I remembered him talking about how they sifted the pieces, I just gave myself a pat on the back. 95,000 is huge for a bunch of broken Clovis points. Iā€™d be happy with that price .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions