Land Ranger Pro - Pinpointing

TreasureHawk

Apr 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some, if not most Land Ranger Pro's have defective (PP) switches.
See my current post on LRP pinpoint modifications.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Much more better reason to get back to buttons, knobs, and switches, then the pads on most detectors, in my mind they just feel better to press, and I feel more confident in the durability if something were to go wrong.. The LRP great machine I imagine but wish it had buttons that's all.

TreasureHawk

Apr 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will take a few times for the detector to pinpoint. Alot of times it works for a second then is followed by a "E" and "D" Am I not locking on the object, not holding the button right/firm enough? After a few tries pinpointing I can get it, but it can be frustrating. Any tips?

To fix this intermittent issue look at my previous posting.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/b...er-land-ranger-pro-pinpoint-modification.html

Then watch my video on LRP fix.
Youtube video
https://youtu.be/V16AY6p9y4w

Hope that helps.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, like I said once before. I have used the LRP so much that I really don't use the PP function much. You CAN pinpoint holding the MODE switch as well (AM). For the price, I don't see First Texas changing much. As far as detecting, the LRP is a best value for the price. It runs up against detectors like the Tesoro Silver that doesn't even have a pinpoint feature, yet the LRP gives more info and features.

The best detector for buttons is Garrett Ace's. But for the same price, you lose ground balance, large screen and the DD coil. It's a choice, for sure. I'm from the old school before pinpointing. And after years of my Tesoro DeLeon, My F5 and XTerra PP buttons were OK, but I rarely used them. Most detectorists will tell you that, after awhile, your mind tells you exactly where to dig by the way you swing.

foiled_again

Jan 29, 2013
DFW area, TX
Detector(s) used
CZ7a, Compadre (wader mod), Land Ranger Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found the idea of exerting immense pressure on the pinpoint switch to be way too clumsy to be practical, and sticky pads were a marginal improvement at best. I wound up having Treasure Hawk (cross-reference his thread on this issue) install the three-position toggle switch and it has made a world of difference--you can actually use it now! Highly recommended for anyone who wants to pinpoint with a Land Ranger Pro.

I can't help thinking that using the bad switches is a shortcut FTP shouldn't have made. To the point that they would be justified putting out revised versions of the Land Ranger Pro and Liberator (plus whatever other models have this problem) with toggles and new names to reflect what is really a marked improvement. I have a few suggestions:
--Land Ranger Pro Pro
--Time Ranger Pro (the Land Ranger was one step below the Time Ranger in the old Bounty Hunter lineup)
--Liberator Pro
--Liberator B-24 (for all you WWII fans out there)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread