Lanyards?

Maui Mike

May 26, 2008
Aloha everyone. well about 2 months into what will be a life long hobby...
Heres a quick question for all.. Lanyards? one for my detector and one for my scoop too?.. while in the water is the question... i will be getting my D-scoop from Nuttall on tuesday.. am following the ups tracking.. it arrived on the West coast this morning.. i can almost smell it!! hehehe.. so Lanyards?.. do tell, your input is most welcome Shaka \OOO/ Mikey :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a shoulder harness that attaches to my detector shaft, it supports the shaft and coil and allows me to hunt as long as I want with out any pain.

My scoop has part of a noodle on the shaft that causes the handle to stand up straight in the water. I thought about a lanyard for the scoop too, but decided against it. I do not want to many things attatched to me in the surf, there is too much of a chance of getting tangled up with multiple lanyards and an accident happening.

I can always find my scoop if I lose sight of it, finding the surface when I am tangled up underwater is a lot harder........................

MikeDahms

Jun 25, 2008
Jacksonville, NC
I worked the waters around Oahu for years with a Garrett XL 500 pulse. I didn't use a scoop because I used a mask and snorkel only. The only exception was during a beach cut and we worked just where the waves broke on the beach. The scoop we used was a large short handled one and there was no need for a lanyard. My wife worked the shallow water and used a long handled scoop. I agree with the post above even in shallow water the less attached to me the better. I envy you and the good times ahead. The thrill you will get when you fan the sand and see the outline of a gold ring. When you do that the first time write about it here. Best to you, Mike.

OP
OP
Maui Mike

Maui Mike

May 26, 2008
Thanks... the noodle idea seems rather smart , think that maybe the way i go for my scoop.. those using the diamond head scoop would probably tell me it's a sinker.. :tongue3:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maui Mike said:
Thanks... the noodle idea seems rather smart , think that maybe the way i go for my scoop.. those using the diamond head scoop would probably tell me it's a sinker.. :tongue3:

My scoop weighs a little over 5 lbs with the additional handle I added. If I was searching calm waters like a lake or ocean with no surf I might consider the lanyard again, but I have already been flipped many times while hunting in the surf so lanyard is out there....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread