Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
No current residents,Some hunting camps,From Powell,Pa.Take rd following creek,
Bradford County, Pennsylvania
Latitude: 41.63222 : Longitude: -76.65111 : Elevation: 1380 ft
http://maps.google.com/?sll=41.63222,-76.65111&spn=0.05,0.05

Laquin was founded about 1902 as a LUMBER town, (although the ghost town of "Barclay" is nearby and it is an old coal mining town). The death of the town was from economics. When the forests played out and the mills could no longer be feed, the industry left and the people soon followed. A CCC camp was established here in the 1930's but this would be abandoned and by 1941 Laquin was a ghost. Population at one time probably approached 2000, maybe more. There are abundant traces of the town today, though the last building disappeared sometime in the 1960's. The main street still exists as the major access road, and once sported a hotel, two churches, a school, a boarding house, store, depot, town building and several homes. Across the street were several mills --all associated with the lumber industry, railroad tracks, a mill pond -- even a baseball field. All gone! The site contains numerous foundations, however, usually amidst the brush. Watch out for rattlesnakes! The site is located in the narrow valley of Schrader Creek, which is in southern Bradford County, PA It is nothing but vast wilderness and mountains all around, as the area has re-forested since the hey days of this community. The site is currently owned by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and is administered as "State Game Lands".

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Tavern at Towanda

Company 1377, Camp S-103-PA, Laquin, Pa.

We Had A CCC Camp at Laquin,Pa. Hope I spelled it right. They would make a long truck trip to Towanda, Pa. on a Saturday night to the Taverns for relaxation. I am seventy four and was real small when the CCC camps were there. They had uniforms like the US Army and wore the old Campaign Hats. You would call them Smokey The Bear Hats, however the Army would call them Campaign Hats. Marine Drill Instructors wear them today. The Army should have kept them.

Most of them were southerners and were a great bunch. I was about twelve at the time and this would have been about 1939. My Grandmother ran the tavern and they would come in the Tavern, and they would treat me as a brother.

During that period it was The Great Depression and that is why President Roosevelt instituted the CCC. They sent money home to their families to help out and I believe they were paid $30.00 per month.

Curator's Note, From the NACCCA records this is clearly Camp S-103, and from the time frame it is Company 1377, the third company at that camp, the others being 387 in 1933 and 5464 in 1936.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
More pics
http://www.flickr.com/groups/barclaymountain/

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.
Barclay Mountain Laquin book on ebay now....

http://cgi.ebay.com/BARCLAY-MOUNTAI...ptZUS_Nonfiction_Book?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Attachments

• Laquim.jpg
    Laquim.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 3,412
  • Laquim2.jpg
    Laquim2.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,111
  • Laquim3.jpg
    Laquim3.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,602
  • Laquim4.jpg
    Laquim4.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 1,632

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good read Gypsy. I wish I were a little closer. I'd be checking it out.

Brian

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Fricks Lock would be a great place to detect if you could get permission from the owners. I understand it is all private land right now, but WOW...a great place with tons of history

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Frick's Lock is owned by PECO, has video survellence and is patrolled by East Pikeland police very heavily due to vandals. It used to be no big deal to visit or walk your dog until the kids started fires and burned a building down. They used to warn you and chase you off but now they fine you. A neighbor also calls about all strange vehicles in the area. It is presently slated to be part of the Schuylkill River Trail and the buildings may be preserved by the East Coventry Historical Society. It sits directly across the river from Limerick Nuclear Power Plant which is why they were bought out and moved. There is the gate blocking the entrance and here is a pic of the sign...

Attachments

• Resize of IMG_5565.jpg
    Resize of IMG_5565.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 966
  • Resize of IMG_5565.jpg
    Resize of IMG_5565.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 757

Rogerm069

Jun 5, 2006
New Albany, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher, White, Garrett
My wife and I MD'd LaQuin a number of years ago. I have a friend with a hunting cabin and 100 acres outside Towanda and invited up for a getaway weekend, so with detectors in tow we headed up. he told me about it and we headed to LaQuin with no research or knowledge we did the first set of foundations we came to. we spent about 4 hours there with hardly any signals and barely any garbage either. later in a discussion over dinner we came to a conclusion that most likely everyone didn't get paid but owed the company store. But it was pretty overgrown and doing any kind of grid was impossible at the time.

coop

Greenie
Apr 2, 2005
I hunted Laquin a few years ago with a friend of mine. It's been heavily hunted in the past. We hunted for hours and the only coin found was a merc. Hardly any targets to be found. Unfortunately, many of the ghost towns of Pa. have been known about for years and have also been detected very heavily. The club that I belong to hunted the ghost town of Masten about 15 years ago and the best our group can come up with were a few wheaties.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread