Large Cent and a Potential Belt Plate. Help With Possible ID?

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out yesterday with my buddy Tony for a little foundation jumping. The first two foundations we hit were right off the main road and consequently they were both hit pretty hard. Didn't really find much there. The next place we had lined up was a foundation at the back of a friend's property. We had to walk through the property on an old colonial road. We detected the road but nothing of any interest came up. We arrived at the foundation after a 15 to 20 minute walk. There were a lot of high tone signals so we started to think maybe this hasn't been detected before. A couple buttons and some silverware pieces turned up. One of the buttons was a nice convex silver plated one. (missing shank).
The first pic is of my last find of the day. We were both surprised that a coin hadn't been found yet. made a 10 dollar bet for first coin and went back at it for a while. I picked up a perfect unwavering 12-46 signal on the E-Trac and was counting the money before I dug the hole. Popped out a matron head LC. Looks to be an 1829 with some detail left on it.

003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG

One of my earlier finds was shaped like a belt plate. It has that obvious oval shape but it was missing a piece. When I turned it over you can definitely see where the hooks were attached to it. That's why I was thinking some type of plate. There doesn't seem to be anything on it at all. Looks to be completely blank. Any ideas about possible ID of this object are appreciated.

002.JPG 001.JPG
012.JPG 013.JPG

Here's a few more pics of the finds of the day.

007.JPG 008.JPG 009.JPG

010.JPG 011.JPG

Thanks for looking and thanks in advance for any help with the ID of the unknown object.

Upvote 14

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't help with the plate, but really appreciate a look at those finds. Thanks for sharing!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You definitely have a plate there, War of 1812 I believe. Can check my plate book when I get home.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really curious about the plate. Certainly a plate and I hope Steve finds it. I'd love to find one some day

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You definitely have a plate there, War of 1812 I believe. Can check my plate book when I get home.
Thanks Steve. I appreciate it. I couldn't see it being something other than a plate but this is the first one I've found so I'm learning as I go.

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply Abe. This is my first one. I was excited when I found it because the size and shape were unmistakable and immediately had me thinking belt plate.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
quite a hunt. I think Steve might have nailed it. Looks like it might be a shoulder plate? Nice LC too.

sscindercoop

Silver Member
Apr 14, 2009
Central New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!!!! hard to tell if its a box or belt plate without attachments, my guess would be box plate

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe your plate is a shoulder belt plate. This is the best reference book for US Plates. Unfortunately I didn't have time to look through it thoroughly, but I snapped this picture of a likely possibility for your plate. There are several oval plain face shoulder belt plates in this book.
IMG_20160520_065740202_HDR.jpg IMG_20160520_070004746.jpg

Last edited:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's not to luv about Upper NY State history .Quick reference may have got it ,
WTG Steve , 1808 militia bayonet belt plate.
Great hunting ....

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always Sweet finding big coppers and looks like you have a pretty old belt plate, Sweet!!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! I can't help much other to say that in my conversations with a major collector years ago he said you can determine quite a bit by the diameter... whether It's British or American, and the period. Mine is a smaller size and he said British, and probably post 1812. At least that's what's in my brain... was a decade ago I talked to him about this.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me play the devil's advocate and say that I clearly see the ridge detail of the letter "S" on the front right side of the plate. It is stamped horizontally and therefore may be a well worn or buffed down US belt plate, meant to be worn horizontally and not vertically. If I am way out of line here, then I will shut my little mouth. Sub 8-)

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me play the devil's advocate and say that I clearly see the ridge detail of the letter "S" on the front right side of the plate. It is stamped horizontally and therefore may be a well worn or buffed down US belt plate, meant to be worn horizontally and not vertically. If I am way out of line here, then I will shut my little mouth. Sub 8-)
It doesn't have the proper rim on the face to be a US box or belt plate, and it does not have a lead filled back like CW era US belt or box plate would.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good finds,Congrats on the 10 dollar bonus.

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe your plate is a shoulder belt plate. This is the best reference book for US Plates. Unfortunately I didn't have time to look through it thoroughly, but I snapped this picture of a likely possibility for your plate. There are several oval plain face shoulder belt plates in this book.
View attachment 1315289 View attachment 1315291
Thanks for looking that up Steve. Greatly appreciated. :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread