Large cent, big silver, and HUGE silver...

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, as always, I'm making this chronological. Last Thursday I hit the Iceberg for a bit. I was on my way out with less than 10 wheats when I dug the 1920-S walker. Dan found one not far from this one a while ago (in addition to another that day), the day I found the barber half. So...after thousands of wheat pennies with only one silver for years from the wheatfield, I find two in two consecutive hunts here. :icon_scratch: :headbang:

From now on I'm immediately putting all silver coins in holders because I've noticed how terrible many have come to look from sitting out and tarnishing/toning real bad.
huntD-5.jpg

huntE-5.jpg

huntF-4.jpg

Had a little more time to kill another day so went back to a usual haunt, a school. Found the 52 Rosie and two wheats. Another day, I tried a new area closer to home, which seems to be untouched...found 14 wheats (one is sliced), but no silver. I did find the 1st Lieutenant bracelet and a clad half.

huntA-7.jpg

huntB-7.jpg

huntC-6.jpg

Now...yesterday, I just decided to go out real quick just for the sake of it. Went to a place real close to home, that we've hit a lot and found some sweet stuff at (nothing older than an 1892 barber quarter though). Kids were practicing/playing games in the field so I wedged myself into a corner where there was a small section of woods. Had to kick around some logs and branches and a few cans to be able to swing the coil. Got a weird signal right away and dug a wheat. Kicked some more stuff around, and got a nice strong penny signal. That was when I was shocked to see the 1845 large cent in the dirt. It's so weird because I feel like I need to be hiking around all day in the woods to stand any remote chance at finding something like that. And here's one that shows up when I'm not expecting it at all.
Messed around a little more in there and found two more wheats. Only spent about 15 mins total in there. It's a real small area but it's real trashy and there's definitely more logs to kick away and signals to unmask I'm sure.
Oh...and the other thing I found in there were these decorative pieces with abalone on them...and they must be silver. The shiny stuff is flaking off pretty bad though. But they're still pretty sweet; gotta be old. I can't really read the markings on the back...it actually looks like a different language. And thoughts would be appreciated.

HUGE silver:
huntG-2.jpg

huntN.jpg

huntK.jpg

huntH-2.jpg

huntI-2.jpg

huntJ-2.jpg

huntL.jpg

huntM.jpg

Thanks for taking a look guys! Hope all's well.

Upvote 0

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you been busy with all of your finds. Keep it up you are doing great....Matt

Sir Digs-A-Lot

Sep 14, 2008
Orlando Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II and ACE 250
Re: the 2-piece silver jewelry with the hinge... Nice find! Do a search for "talleres de los ballesteros". Mexican-made vintage silver. I think it looks like a hair decoration, but who knows? Here is some info I just found...

"Members of the Los Ballesteros workshop, started out working in small towns in the state of Guerrero, Mexico. They trained in the old apprentice system of the Pre-Conquest times, where the father taught the art of silversmithing to his son. This system was later adapted by William Spratling, who replaced the elder master with a designer, who then passed on their knowledge to their apprentices.

Jalil Majul Ballesteros, moved to Taxco in 1937 to start a silversmithing workshop. He was trained by his grandfather and padrino (godfather), Efrén Ballesteros, who was a silversmith in Depecuacuilco. Efrén's padrino, Daniel Fonseca Ballesteros, was a well-known silversmith from Iguala. By 1941, demand for Taxco silver had grown and new techniques were adopted to meet the demand of the tourist market. By the 1950's, they established shops in Acapulco, Mexico City, Puebla and Cuernavaca."

OP
OP
Nate in Ohio

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Masonlid said:
Wow...that would be awesome to return the bracelet.
That's a neat idea...I did find this when I searched for his name:
http://www.chadduck.com/ymarines/pow-mia/bios/c157.htm
But yea, hmm.

Sir Digs-A-Lot said:
Re: the 2-piece silver jewelry with the hinge... Nice find! Do a search for "talleres de los ballesteros". Mexican-made vintage silver. I think it looks like a hair decoration, but who knows? Here is some info I just found...

"Members of the Los Ballesteros workshop, started out working in small towns in the state of Guerrero, Mexico. They trained in the old apprentice system of the Pre-Conquest times, where the father taught the art of silversmithing to his son. This system was later adapted by William Spratling, who replaced the elder master with a designer, who then passed on their knowledge to their apprentices.

Jalil Majul Ballesteros, moved to Taxco in 1937 to start a silversmithing workshop. He was trained by his grandfather and padrino (godfather), Efrén Ballesteros, who was a silversmith in Depecuacuilco. Efrén's padrino, Daniel Fonseca Ballesteros, was a well-known silversmith from Iguala. By 1941, demand for Taxco silver had grown and new techniques were adopted to meet the demand of the tourist market. By the 1950's, they established shops in Acapulco, Mexico City, Puebla and Cuernavaca."

Wow! You definitely pinpointed a lot for me, thanks very much!
Bet these things looked awesome before they were lost. I'm seeing lots of other sweet looking items with abalone from these people.

Sir Digs-A-Lot

Sep 14, 2008
Orlando Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II and ACE 250
Nate in Ohio said:
Wow! You definitely pinpointed a lot for me, thanks very much!
Bet these things looked awesome before they were lost. I'm seeing lots of other sweet looking items with abalone from these people.
Glad to help ID it. I just took another look at your photo... to the right of the hallmark it looks like it might say "IGUALA" followed by the letters "DB" - the link I found says, "Efrén's padrino, Daniel Fonseca Ballesteros, was a well-known silversmith from Iguala." I hope it's a rare and early piece, good luck researching it. Keep us posted if you find out more.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The never ending saga of the "Iceberg".....Look's like some great dig's there Nate.My Mom had one of those bracelet's back when I was a kid.Keep us posted if you do locate the Lt. or his family,that would be great.Congrat's :icon_thumright:

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Really nice digs Nate.

What happened to the old man. Did he retire from hunting. Or just to busy working and doing other things.

HH Jer

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man that site is giving up the goods :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

jb58

May 22, 2009
missouri
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gotta love the iceberg-super finds nate! :thumbsup:

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Nice digs and great variety of goodies :thumbsup:

I dug a beautiful sterling silver bracelet at Golden Gate Park a few years ago after a small scrape. I thought it was Victorian era, but it turned to be from the 1920's and was from a famous silver studio in Taxco, MX. I found a dealer in that kind of silver online and she said the bracelet was worth at least $150! You just never know, all part of the fun of this hobby!

HH,
Brian

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Congrats on the nice variety of finds !! I would settle for a few wheats right now.

TommNJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread