Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here's my 'two cents':
During this period, the Mexican 'Piece of Eight' was cut in halves, quarters and eights. (One 'bit' was an eighth, two bits= a quarter of the piece of eight, etc.) The Mexican eight reales 'bit' coin was an accepted medium of exchange during this period, therefore, 'cut coins', per se, were accepted.

During this same period as your coin (1839-1857) the US half penny was also in circulation, though in many years the half cent mintage was only about 1% of the mintage of the large cent; ergo, the half cent was scarce--but the value and acceptability of the half cent was well established having beenfirst minted in 1793.

All this to say that I believe the large cent (which was valued then at about 20 cents in today's value) being cut in half and used in trade would not be deemed 'uncommon'.
Don....

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it was a common practice in the early to mid 1800's but it was done, the earlier the more likely, lots of colonial and state coins like CT coppers are found cut in half, my son and I have several, but when it comes to Large Cents, I have quite a few and I do not have any cut in half but do have this one, cut into 1/4th :)

I was lucky and was able to attribute not only the year but the variety of this 1/4th of a coin........

If your half of Large Cent has enough detail I might be able to date it for you.

Don

Attachments

• 1803 S-253.JPG
    1803 S-253.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 451
  • 1803 S-253.JPG
    1803 S-253.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 341
OP
OP
Clad 2 meet u

Clad 2 meet u

May 7, 2007
Algonac Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro (land) CZ20 (water)
Thanks Don,

That was my thoughts... The coin is in stellar shape except for the fact that it's only 1/2 and I would emagine that it has little value to the collector. It has a lot of sentimental value to me being the oldest coin to date that I have dug.

The park that I found it in is being renovated to add a walking path. The city dug down about 12" to put down a better base material rather then the sand that is common in my neck of the woods. I was detecting the piles of dirt that was removed and it was almost a surface find being down about an inch. I'm just itching to get back and check some more. I'm hoping for my first silver to come from these piles.

Very best Regards,

Greg (clad 2 meet u)

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Greg:
I consider the value of that cut coin is in its history--the history of cut coins (Why, When Where, etc.) Cut coins go back to Roman times--perhaps even to Persian or Lydian coins. Its a great story that you can weave into your story when displaying this find.
Don.....

OP
OP
Clad 2 meet u

Clad 2 meet u

May 7, 2007
Algonac Michigan
Detector(s) used
Don in SJ,

My computer at home is in for repairs but I will surely post a picture for you Monday the 15th . From what I remember, the womans hair was up in a bun which leads me to believe that it came from 1839-1857. Although it could be a Matron Head too. Do you think if I posted detailed enough pictures you would be able to figure out the exact year?

Thanks,

Greg (clad 2 meet u)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clad 2 meet u said:
Don in SJ,

My computer at home is in for repairs but I will surely post a picture for you Monday the 15th . From what I remember, the womans hair was up in a bun which leads me to believe that it came from 1839-1857. Although it could be a Matron Head too. Do you think if I posted detailed enough pictures you would be able to figure out the exact year?

Thanks,

Greg (clad 2 meet u)

If the coin is in nice shape, Don is your man! Might be a little difficult on the year though if there's no date on the "half-cent"...

-Buckleboy

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen a large cent cut but I did find this copper that was cut. I'm assuming it's colonial. It was found around lots of other colonial era relics/coins.
Unfortunately not enough detail to ID.

Attachments

• IMG_0823.JPG
    IMG_0823.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_0823.JPG
    IMG_0823.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 294

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
Neat find! :o

Cut coins have always been around---except for among contemporary modern coins (the intrinsic value of which is unrelated to face value, which seems to be an aberration, historically).

OP
OP
Clad 2 meet u

Clad 2 meet u

May 7, 2007
Algonac Michigan
Detector(s) used
Don,

Here are the pic's I promised. The coin has not been cleaned other then a quick wash to get the dirt off. Let me know what you think or anyone else for that matter.

Attachments

• img002.jpg
    img002.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 269
  • img003.jpg
    img003.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 309

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good news Greg, the coin is older than you think, thanks for the good photos of it, I am fairly certain I can get a date for you and even maybe the variety.
The good news is , the coin is NOT 1840-1857, why? because yours has a line under ONE CENT, no coin after 1839 has that line.

So, I will start looking through my book now and hopefully have an answer for you today.

Don

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greg, After an hour of cross eyed looking ::) I am 95% certain your "cut" Large Cent is a:

1829 Coronet Type Martron Head variety that is attributed as a Newcomb 5 N.5 variety which is one of the more scarce varieties for that year.

So, if it were my coin in would be going into a coin flip it marked as a 1829 Coronet Type N.5 Large Cent (Cut in Half)

"Clipped" in coins usually means a clipped planchet and not a coin that has been cut in half.
A good example of a clipped copper is the one I posted earlier this year. That is a "clipped planchet" coin. I attached the photo of my "clipped" planchet coin, big difference between clipped and cut.....

Don

Attachments

• Clad2meetUcutcopper2.jpg
    Clad2meetUcutcopper2.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 282
  • 1784 Counterfeit KGIII Halfpenny.jpg
    1784 Counterfeit KGIII Halfpenny.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 245

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread