Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Friday I took the day off and went metal detecting with my brother who is visiting from Colorado. I decided to try and get on a place I hadn’t been to since 1988. My first and only time on this property, using my first metal detector, I found quite a few Barber dimes and Indian Head pennies. After seeing my success, the caretaker went and bought a metal detector. He has long since passed away, and I thought it would be worth a try to get back on the place. The grandson of the lady who let me hunt in 1988 now lives there and he was very hesitant to grant permission. He wouldn’t let us in the mowed areas, which were the most productive, but he let us hunt in the woods. After a bit, I found a productive spot and started digging Indian Head pennies. I ended up with 1847, 1890, 1902, 1904, 1915, and 1917 pennies, a 1911 nickel, a large circa 1910 good luck token, and a couple early Girl Scout buttons. My brother found an aluminum good luck piece shaped like a horse shoe.

Here is the take from the property.
All.jpg

The Large Cent is not badly corroded like most I find around here.
LC front.jpg LC back.jpg

The large Good Luck token says 8 hours work, 8 hours sleep, 8 hours play on one side with the Latin inscription "Labor Omnia Vincit" which mean "Labor Conquers All"
Good Luck front.jpg Good Luck back.jpg

Finally, here is a pic of the Large Cent in the hole.
LC dirt.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 16

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats Steve on the fun hunt! I have hunted with my brother a few times and treasured those hunts with him!

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Steve on the fun hunt! I have hunted with my brother a few times and treasured those hunts with him!
Thanks Keith. If I remember correctly, you lost your brother. I think he may still be hunting with you though based on some of your recent finds.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. To bad you could not hunt the area you did in 1988, but maybe someday you will get the chance again.
Thanks Mike. He left the door open to hunting in the woods again, but said he can't let me in the mowed areas.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt! You did well to return there! :thumbsup:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a great day off good finds gotta love adding all those coins to your collection

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions