paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually dug these the day before my GW find, but it's been such a crazy week that I've only just now been able to clean/preserve them. This was a different cellar hole a few towns away that looked very promising based on the maps, but had been hunted at least once before. There were signs of holes all over, but they missed a fair number of targets under brush and around logs so it wasn't a dud. Of key interest is this 1838 large cent that the deus isolated in the middle a an iron nest:

DSC06726.JPG DSC06727.JPG

I could immediately tell it had good detail left, but it wasn't until I started cleaning it that I noticed the counterstamp. One side is "Patent" and the other is "Applied For." I know a good number of these counterstamps were advertisements of some kind, but this one seems particularly oblique. It is in the list of know counterstamps, but there's no additional information or who it's attributed too. Very weird.

There was one other coin, a Connecticut copper, but it's a but more toasty so I can't get the date or type off it.

DSC06728.JPG DSC06729.JPG

The hunt produced a good number of buttons including one dandy and an odd 2-piece basket weave like button.

DSC06719.JPG

I also found a nice brass pocketknife, a brass furniture decoration, and what I think is part of a bull nose ring, but I'm not 100% on that.

DSC06723.JPG

The mystery is this piece though:

DSC06720.JPG DSC06721.JPG DSC06722.JPG

It certainly looks early and definitely hand made, or at least the carvings are. Can anyone identify it?

The rest of the hunt were bits and pieces, quite a few pewter and lead chunks, as well as some nice pottery. It was an enjoyable hunt, but there probably isn't too much more to be found at this spot so the research continues!

DSC06714.JPG DSC06715.JPG DSC06716.JPG DSC06724.JPG

Upvote 26
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice hunt! :occasion14:

Two old coppers are a nice find! :icon_thumleft:

KenG

Mar 16, 2018
East TN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cutlass II, Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt. I love the counterstamped large cent.

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!! What an excellent hunt, and thanks for sharing your finds !

Vldetecting

Jun 23, 2017
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro-Pointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! That large cent is really nice! You also found a lot of other nice relics!

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, wow nice finds Congrats:occasion14:

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow nice finds. That large cent looks awesome!

ronbo22

Oct 31, 2008
Florida
Perhaps your counter stamp is a result of a manufacturer doing a test stamp for his product on a penny rather than ruining one of his products with a faulty stamp. You will see many older items with this stamp on them while they were waiting for their patent to be approved.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions