Large cent!

pganjon

Nov 6, 2008
South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter 5, Ace 250
Hi everyone! Did some hunting at lunchtime and second signal out, God blessed me with this awesome 1817 large cent. Part of an old rd bed runs just inside the woods from the soccer field. It was down about 4 inches and rang in as a dime(?) on the Ace 250. Best detailed one I have found in a long while. Sorry about the pic though, my phone camera is :sad10: Happy hunting:coffee2:

Attachments

• largie.jpg
    largie.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 150
Upvote 13
OP
OP
pganjon

pganjon

Nov 6, 2008
South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
I do have question though. Did the reverse on large cents line up to when you flip it over? From looking at the profile on the obverse, I flip the coin over and the reverse image is pointing to the 7 oclock position?

Attachments

• Image101220142228101.jpg
    Image101220142228101.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 109

jcobb

May 23, 2008
Ft. Worth Tejas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030...AT Pro & Garrett Pro Pointer
Bounty Hunter 505 (Loaner)
Was this before or after church? Just curious?
Congrats on the find!!!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a very nice find ! That rotation of the reverse die might be a rare one - some here will chime in no doubt .

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats awesome! My second large cent I ever found was an 1817. By the way the obverserse and the reverse should line up. Just like in modern day coinage. Although I have heard it was more common for the front and back to be misaligned in older coinage, I dont know what is considered to be grossly misaligned. I do know that there are precautions in modern day coinage to alomst eliminate these errors. Great find!

OP
OP
pganjon

pganjon

Nov 6, 2008
South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Was this before or after church? Just curious?
Congrats on the find!!!
Lol, This was during the week at work. Though I do hunt on Sunday only after I serve my Lord at church and Sunday school. Thank you. Paul

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
common to see large cents with rotated obverse and reverse

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW..very nice find..while I haven't found a LC myself..my hunting buddy who has found several says that they do ring up as a high dime..or a quarter. And a 1917 ! awesome early date..I see a lot of 1840's but not a lot of the earlier ones, especially one that has been dug in that good of shape! I'm sure I speak for all of us when I ask...could you please post some pics of it rinsed off ? Thanks very much..great coin..thanks for sharing...ddf

OP
OP
pganjon

pganjon

Nov 6, 2008
South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
WOW..very nice find..while I haven't found a LC myself..my hunting buddy who has found several says that they do ring up as a high dime..or a quarter. And a 1917 ! awesome early date..I see a lot of 1840's but not a lot of the earlier ones, especially one that has been dug in that good of shape! I'm sure I speak for all of us when I ask...could you please post some pics of it rinsed off ? Thanks very much..great coin..thanks for sharing...ddf
Thank you, this is as clean as I dare get it. It was caked in a 1/16 inch layer of hard beigh soil that I work on with a toothpick, and a little water and lemon juice on cotton swabs. Paul

:coffee2:

mtdewman

Dec 26, 2012
Sunbury, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro POinter AT, Bounty Hunter LoneStar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I to dug a 1817 as my first readable lc. Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread