Large Cents And Silver With The AT Max

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Please........get this detector in our hands!:bouncy:

at max tattoo (2).jpg

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
6" on a silver dime with the 5" x 8" dime is good!

I kind of wondered if the AT Max with it's lower frequency might be hot on higher conductors like copper and silver. Although there is limited information on the videos made so far using the AT Max, what I have seen looks good. A detector with an inch or two in depth can make a huge difference when searching for older relics.

Garrett AT MAX Metal Detector

increased depth.jpg

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 or Garrett Ace 400 with a Cors Cannon coil and Z-lynk, Predator Piranha shovel, White's TRX pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
6" on a silver dime with the 5" x 8" dime is good!

I kind of wondered if the AT Max with it's lower frequency might be hot on higher conductors like copper and silver. Although there is limited information on the videos made so far using the AT Max, what I have seen looks good. A detector with an inch or two in depth can make a huge difference when searching for older relics.

Garrett AT MAX Metal Detector

View attachment 1462136

John,
I know most of the folks locally (Maryland and PA) who participated in the testing (Hoover Boys, Jocelyn) and they are all great hunters, have hunted with them. Focusing just on depth for the Max disregards the other great features like built in wireless, a back light, bigger VDI readout, and other new programmable features. Garrett doesn't pay me, so not a shill, just don't want people to think that more depth is the only thing new about the Max. I wish I could afford one right now, but not happening. For the money, though, It's going to be hard to find a better land machine if the final product is all it's cracked up to be. I think the extra depth is great, too, maybe it would obviate the need for an after-market coil. :)

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
John,
I know most of the folks locally (Maryland and PA) who participated in the testing (Hoover Boys, Jocelyn) and they are all great hunters, have hunted with them. Focusing just on depth for the Max disregards the other great features like built in wireless, a back light, bigger VDI readout, and other new programmable features. Garrett doesn't pay me, so not a shill, just don't want people to think that more depth is the only thing new about the Max. I wish I could afford one right now, but not happening. For the money, though, It's going to be hard to find a better land machine if the final product is all it's cracked up to be. I think the extra depth is great, too, maybe it would obviate the need for an after-market coil. :)

You know that, I know that, but a lot of the newer folks are so obsessed with depth. I have said many times that depth should not be the number one reason for purchasing a metal detector. Most people who stay in the hobby will eventually figure it out that depth is only one of many options to take into consideration when buying a metal detector.

th_thinking1.gif

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 or Garrett Ace 400 with a Cors Cannon coil and Z-lynk, Predator Piranha shovel, White's TRX pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's all true. 99% of all the coins I have found have been 6 inches or less. A few have been deeper. The deepest was 12 inches. At this point, if money was in hand, I would want excellent ground balancing and target separation, as iron-sown spots seem to bedevil turn on and go machines. I am blessed with good soil in my region, but I can see the need for ground balance options in other areas. I have an after-market coil, but its biggest advantage is that it allows me to cover ground better. So far I have only retrieved one coin beyond the likely reach of the stock coil. A nine inch wheat penny (The hole was deeper than my Garrett pointer). How it got that deep when all the rest had been less than six inches I'll never know. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread