Large coin storage question

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Large 'coin' storage question

Hello all. I recently purchased a medal / token that when I saw it I had to have it. I'd never seen or heard of it before and had no idea of it's value but I thought it was super cool. It's a 1904 Farran Zerbe medal (H-61-340). Basically it's a token that was given out (or sold maybe, I don't really know) at the 1904 world's fair in St Louis listing the current prices at the time for old US coins. For example an 1894-S dime in F should run you $50, 100 year old gold coins (180X) are listed at ~20-25% over FACE!, stuff like that. Anyway, my issue is that it's basically 2 inches in diameter so I don't really know how to store it. I was going to put it into a flip but even the silver eagle holders are too small. Does anyone have thoughts of how I could store it? It's just sitting in an envelope right now. I'm sure that's not the safest way to store it.

Thanks

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Your medal is composed of aluminum if it's the same as this one:
https://www.collectors-society.com/wcm/CoinView.aspx?sc=154514
That fact, if true, may facilitate others to answer your specific question.
Don.........
PS: Stacks sold one in MS-62 (NGC) condition about two years ago for $253.
Great token !!

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Due to the large size of the medal/token, it is doubtful that you will find an appropriate sized holder/protector made for coins here in the United States. You might try the European market via eBay or elsewhere as some European coins, especially commemorative type coins/tokens/medal were very large. Otherwise, I would suggest purchasing a Bill/Currency protector, fold the length-wise side in half, place the token/medal inside one of the folded sides then tape the edges with clear tape. This should suffice until you might be able to obtain an appropriate sized holder/protector for it.

Frank

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Don - thanks, that's it's and you're correct that it's aluminum. Couldn't pass it up when I saw it.

Frank - thanks, I'll look into both of the options you suggest.

kaiser613

Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow 1904 that's pretty old for an aluminum token, I know that mass industrialization of refinement removed It from the precious metals category in the 1880's but that's still pretty cool that they produced a mere token out of aluminum that early.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread