large flat button with flowers on front

brncofan

Jul 30, 2013
southwest ,CT
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac,EQ 800,TDIpro,TDI beachunter,excal II OBN pp mod,excal 800 blue OBN pp mod,excal blue 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Attachments

• 100_0012.JPG
    100_0012.JPG
    425.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 100_0014.JPG
    100_0014.JPG
    348.8 KB · Views: 99
Upvote 4

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice button! Circa 1780 to 1800.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice big Colonial button heat up some peroxide and drop it in for a while...

Blaze

Coilcrazy2

Nov 9, 2010
Reading, pa
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, gray ghost headphones,
Fisher 1265x,
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Tesoro cibola,
Tesoro Outlaw
Nice looking button! Yep its most likely late 1700s :D nice find!
CC

OP
OP
brncofan

brncofan

Jul 30, 2013
southwest ,CT
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac,EQ 800,TDIpro,TDI beachunter,excal II OBN pp mod,excal 800 blue OBN pp mod,excal blue 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice button

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dandy Button 1750-80

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dandy Button 1750-80

Sorry Cru. I have to disagree with that date range. They just don't turn up on sites prior to 1780 over here, but they are very common on sites that can be accurately dated to the 1790s. We have a slight advantage over here because we can often pinpoint to within a couple years when a site saw activity over here, especially with respect to when the start of activity occurred. The sites you hunt have seen footsteps for hundreds, even thousands of years.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Cru. I have to disagree with that date range. They just don't turn up on sites prior to 1780 over here, but they are very common on sites that can be accurately dated to the 1790s. We have a slight advantage over here because we can often pinpoint to within a couple years when a site saw activity over here, especially with respect to when the start of activity occurred. The sites you hunt have seen footsteps for hundreds, even thousands of years.
That makes no difference to the actual manufacturing date in the UK. I agree it would take time for the fashion to get there (& travel) & those dates would align OK.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That makes no difference to the actual manufacturing date in the UK. I agree it would take time for the fashion to get there (& travel) & those dates would align OK.
I can't prove it but I believe there is a connection between the large button craze in the US (which I date from the late 1780s to about 1810) and the large GW Inaugural buttons.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just did some background reading to check my grey matter.

I see why this makes sense, because these have been given the nick-name 'Colonial Buttons' as they became popular in the colonies in the late 18th & into the 19th C. So depending on your point of view, you could predict there loss in the 19th C as well. I think with the evidence you normally build you can guess the loss period, but over here the height of their fashion is well documented including a nice cartoon dated 1777.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just did some background reading to check my grey matter.

I see why this makes sense, because these have been given the nick-name 'Colonial Buttons' as they became popular in the colonies in the late 18th & into the 19th C. So depending on your point of view, you could predict there loss in the 19th C as well. I think with the evidence you normally build you can guess the loss period, but over here the height of their fashion is well documented including a nice cartoon dated 1777.
I'll buy that :thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't prove it but I believe there is a connection between the large button craze in the US (which I date from the late 1780s to about 1810) and the large GW Inaugural buttons.
One must have influenced the other, thats the way of fashion.

I'm now wondering if the manufacturers that produced these in the UK, continued to met the demand of the colonies (after moving onto other types for the internal market) or whether there were enough surplus or recycled ones to met that demand.
I can't believe that the same techniques we see on the 1750's examples carry through to the 1820s (for example, when there were major improvements).
Is there an unknown (to me) contemporary US manufacturer copying old styles/techniques?? Anyone?

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One must have influenced the other, thats the way of fashion.

I'm now wondering if the manufacturers that produced these in the UK, continued to met the demand of the colonies (after moving onto other types for the internal market) or whether there were enough surplus or recycled ones to met that demand.
I can't believe that the same techniques we see on the 1750's examples carry through to the 1820s (for example, when there were major improvements).
Is there an unknown (to me) contemporary US manufacturer copying old styles/techniques?? Anyone?
Some of the large dandies we see here are die struck, others appear to be hand engraved. I don't know how you would tell if they were manufactured in England or America since none have backmarks. I believe that clothiers stopped putting them on coats around 1800, but the coats they were already on continued to be worn, and the buttons lost for some time afterward. Maybe some of the button societies would have more info. All the studies I have on buttons relate to military buttons.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread