63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One just does what one needs to do to do the things they like to do, though it ain't for everybody.

169_6957_r1.jpg

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How close are you to the Oroville spill way ? reports of gold nuggets being found below the spill way after it failed last year. You might google that info, good luck.

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think I worked that crevice in the very early 1970s...is it near Forest Hill? I was thinking a nearby feature was "Munford Bar"...but I'm old, and its been nearly 50 years. That summer had been very dry, and the river was VERY low, dry bedrock in some areas. Many potholes in the bedrock, and a wide crack going across the riverbed, about half dry, and the other half in only about 2-3 feet of water...
Using a pan, and an old-school rocker, I pulled about 5 ounces out during a family campout weekend. A couple of pea-sized nuggets, a lot of sesame-seed size pickers...in pre-73 days, HAD to sell to a "licensed gold dealer"...I think I got around $175...a fortune to a 14-year-old, but I wish now I had defied Federal Law and "hoarded" it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

49erjohn

Mar 21, 2007
Reed, Where is the ASRA guard station on the Middle Fork of the American river? What part of this river did you take pounds out of? JOHN

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reed, Where is the ASRA guard station on the Middle Fork of the American river? What part of this river did you take pounds out of? JOHN
at the confluence of Nf and Mf

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I worked that crevice in the very early 1970s...is it near Forest Hill? I was thinking a nearby feature was "Munford Bar"...but I'm old, and its been nearly 50 years. That summer had been very dry, and the river was VERY low, dry bedrock in some areas. Many potholes in the bedrock, and a wide crack going across the riverbed, about half dry, and the other half in only about 2-3 feet of water...
Using a pan, and an old-school rocker, I pulled about 5 ounces out during a family campout weekend. A couple of pea-sized nuggets, a lot of sesame-seed size pickers...in pre-73 days, HAD to sell to a "licensed gold dealer"...I think I got around $175...a fortune to a 14-year-old, but I wish now I had defied Federal Law and "hoarded" it.

Hindsight's a *****, there's no real way of knowing the future without a time machine. I once had enough bitcoins in 2011 that would make me a millionaire today. Hell, we might be one day regretting selling our gold right now when prices are *just* $1500 an ounce.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Feb 29, 2020

Well actually, if one takes a right turn off of the Foresthill Divide Road shortly after passing the US Post Office in that tiny strip mall you will be going
down the Middle Fork AR Canyon wall, quite a view! Part way down there will be a turnoff on the right as well as a heavy duty locked gate. That Jeep Road
goes all the way down to the Middle Fork however IT IS A PRIVATE ROAD AND ALL OF THE MFAR FOR A FEW MILES IS ALL CLAIMED AND THEY ARE
SERIOUS ABOUT KEEPING PEOPLE OUT WHO HAVE NOT PAID TO BE IN THERE!!!

It is absolutely amazing in there! It has a tiny sort of Old Company Store and Brothel Upstairs (neither are used now but they are there). Near the
Company Store is the full time Caretakers quarters. He showed page after page of historical pictures to me, like when dredging was still going before
it was Illegally stoped, of large pans full of gold. Then he pulled out a pint bottle of recently plucked nuggets via sniping from the surface with an air
supply.

They stil lease sections of their claims for significant, heavy equipment moving of boulders (its all boulders!). The fishing near the Caretakers building
is amazing BUT, a Trout Fishing Club has it leased and it is catch and release only.

When I was in there on a Legal Tour I was shown a heavily bushy area and was told that in the hill behind the bushes was an old tunnel that a black
bear was living in.

Big Water, Lots of boulders small & large and quite amazing to see.

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're talking about the tunnel, south of Gray Eagle Bar on the very north end of the drained part of the original Horse Shoe Bar :)
I used to dredge down there back when it was open also.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mytimetoshine, to answer your question on page one of this post, it takes a lot of work (and you know this) to really get "out there" where
you are far from a trail (except the one you made to get where you are). In those wild places some of the country itself is the 'Golden Reward'
for all that work.

The 2008 January and March Events of 50,000 and 40,000 cubic feet per second flows changed the river likely from way up high all the way out
to the Clementine Reservoir. That flow moved everything to a new location!

Last year when I was down Sailor Flat Trail I was shocked to see how much the area had changed. Also while in there another change was I had
a shovel taken from my camp, lots of changes unfortunately.

So far this winter the flow on the river has been abnormally low, will it pick up in the spring or will it be a light melt off??

Good Luck out there! 63bkpkr

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mytimetoshine, to answer your question on page one of this post, it takes a lot of work (and you know this) to really get "out there" where
you are far from a trail (except the one you made to get where you are). In those wild places some of the country itself is the 'Golden Reward'
for all that work.

The 2008 January and March Events of 50,000 and 40,000 cubic feet per second flows changed the river likely from way up high all the way out
to the Clementine Reservoir. That flow moved everything to a new location!

Last year when I was down Sailor Flat Trail I was shocked to see how much the area had changed. Also while in there another change was I had
a shovel taken from my camp, lots of changes unfortunately.

So far this winter the flow on the river has been abnormally low, will it pick up in the spring or will it be a light melt off??

Good Luck out there! 63bkpkr
Hi 63!

Water levels were low last year but I didn't get out all that much. Bought a house, was out of work because of Covid, new Puppy etc.

Hope all is well, looking forward to some low water this year also.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a guy who has videos on Youtube, he goes by Mokpot I believe and he Scuba metal detects some local rivers around northern California and some of his videos have shown cemented gravels that would make you guys drool, but I have never seen him detect those areas, he is more interested in sun glasses and smart watches and phones instead of searching the gravel walls for nuggets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread