Large Key and Army Item

jgospoda

Oct 12, 2013
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Hi everyone! Well I'm in Wisconsin and the deep freeze has begun so I began cleaning old finds today. I found these two items in the same yard in April and was wondering if anyone has any further information on either.

The key is very thick and heavy and appears to be a Texaco logo. Its says technology on one side and EPTD on the other.

US Army find is gold in color and has a red stone. Appears plated and its very light. Everything is telling me its cheap and worthless but why make something for the Army that is fake? Not sure what to think.... thanks in advance for any help! :-)

ForumRunner_20131205_163026.png

ForumRunner_20131205_163037.png

ForumRunner_20131205_163054.png

Upvote 2

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Key looks like some kind of award, but I'm guessing. That's a nice army pendant, you may want to get a gold test kit. Or take it to a jeweler, they can tell

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That certainly looks like real gold! Reminds me of the type jewelry made by companies that make class rings. Very nice. Congrats to you and thanks for the pics.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
As mentioned by 'Msbeepbeep', I'd go along with the key being a reward or souvenir from Texaco EPTD. The EPTD may stand for Environmental and Production Technology Division OR Environmental Protection Technology Division.
Don..

OP
OP
jgospoda

jgospoda

Oct 12, 2013
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Thanks so much! The research and info from this forum is often better than the finds themselves. :-) I'm interested in the heavy key and the Army item.....hopefully you will be able to share more as I am stuck. Thanks again!

OP
OP
jgospoda

jgospoda

Oct 12, 2013
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
So do you think its a real key for a lock or a key for something else like an award etc? Hmmmm

OP
OP
jgospoda

jgospoda

Oct 12, 2013
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Looking at the key it is clear it is not a functioning key....it has all the same teeth and no side grooves or wear. :-D

OP
OP
jgospoda

jgospoda

Oct 12, 2013
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
That could be! I just ran the Army item under my AT Pro and it read a solid 80/81 so it can't be gold....hmmmmm.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That could be! I just ran the Army item under my AT Pro and it read a solid 80/81 so it can't be gold....hmmmmm.

Oh don't ever think that! I have a gold class ring that will hit 80 on the ATPro. Big gold will ring up just like a dime.

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Macro Anfibio Multi / Nokta Fors Core /Ace 250 - w/ 9"x12" Coil /
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at the back of the Army piece...it does appear to be plated. Gold wouldn't have that look...it would look more like the front does.
If you rub it and you see gold on your finger...it's plated.
Nice piece though....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread