Large Monastic Bronze Seal

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Hi all, After many years of searching I've got to class this as one of my best finds. It's a large bronze monastic seal 16 Century which is late for this type of seal. The seal is flat backed and would have been fitted into an handle probably wooden. I had been searching the field over many years mainly because of it's Roman finds before the seal turned up. Just goes to show the best does sometimes wait until last.

HH -Robert

Attachments

• stater and seal 005.jpg
    stater and seal 005.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 934
Upvote 0

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing for sure.Wow,the finds you guys make just blow me away!!!

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
tyre kicker said:
Brilliant just Brilliant :o :o :o
Thanks Tyre kicker, Just looked at your profile Lobo supertrack 2 1/4 (quarter) discrim ?Mine fell to pieces (search head where it connects to the bottom stem seal no good). Got no joy from Tesoro vowed never to buy Tesoro again. Shame really been using them since mid 80's silver sabre plus that was a machine !. Turned out for the best though XP Goldmax a better machine.

Robert.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tyre kicker said:

As above, survived the plough well.

Seems to me you haven't researched this. With the inscription you have on there the PAS could write up a page or two. There is a massive story to this one which needs to be told & recorded. Or have you done this & left out the details?

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
CRUSADER said:
tyre kicker said:

Seems to me you haven't researched this. With the inscription you have on there the PAS could write up a page or two. There is a massive story to this one which needs to be told & recorded. Or have you done this & left out the details?
Yes it's been recorded and researched by the BM, still not got a full id on it though. The script is very complex and a little worn in places. Iv'e still got the seal so time will tell.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
robfinds said:
CRUSADER said:
tyre kicker said:

Yes it's been recorded and researched by the BM, still not got a full id on it though. The script is very complex and a little worn in places. Iv'e still got the seal so time will tell.

Good man, might find out in a year or two with the BM on the case ;)
Don't sell until you get this as it will be worth 5 times more, if you can part with it. (I know you sell the odd thing)

Find of a lifetime which I couldn't see go

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Hi Crusader, Been offered a grand it's worth more. Will dig out and post it's part id from the BM tonight.

Robert

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
robfinds said:
Hi Crusader, Been offered a grand it's worth more. Will dig out and post it's part id from the BM tonight.

Robert

Its not an unfair offer. £1500-£2500 on a good day. As you know with these type of things, its worth what ever someone is prepared to pay. If you could get an export licence I'm sure someone in the US would pay $10,000.

Personally I think this is of national importance (or at least extreme local historical significance) & should be in the museum closest to the Abbey that it came from.

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Here's the info the British Museum gave me on the seal.
main legend:
SI : CAPELLA : BEATE: MARIE : DE: SCALA : CELI : SANNITA :
ANALTARIE(?) : MARINE
Which may mean something along the lines of 'seal of the chapel of the blessed Mary of the stairs' (?). Sannita may have a health/hospital connotation, but it's not the usual expression for hospital. Marine probably gives it a maritime connection. The sub -legend around the agnus dei reads:
agnus dei: miserere mei: qui: crimini: tollis
(Lamb of God have mercy on me who is guilty). The legend underneath the lamb appears to end in 'quintus' which means fifth. The seal is likely to have belong to a guild confraternity dedicated to the Virgin and St John the Baptist.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
robfinds said:
tyre kicker said:
Thanks Tyre kicker, Just looked at your profile Lobo supertrack 2 1/4 (quarter) discrim ?Mine fell to pieces (search head where it connects to the bottom stem seal no good). Got no joy from Tesoro vowed never to buy Tesoro again. Shame really been using them since mid 80's silver sabre plus that was a machine !. Turned out for the best though XP Goldmax a better machine.

Robert.
I have a spare stem if you still have Lobo, just bough a brand new one for £300 ;) still not convinced about the G Max power11 :-\

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
robfinds said:
Here's the info the British Museum gave me on the seal.
main legend:
SI : CAPELLA : BEATE: MARIE : DE: SCALA : CELI : SANNITA :
ANALTARIE(?) : MARINE
Which may mean something along the lines of 'seal of the chapel of the blessed Mary of the stairs' (?). Sannita may have a health/hospital connotation, but it's not the usual expression for hospital. Marine probably gives it a maritime connection. The sub -legend around the agnus dei reads:
agnus dei: miserere mei: qui: crimini: tollis
(Lamb of God have mercy on me who is guilty). The legend underneath the lamb appears to end in 'quintus' which means fifth. The seal is likely to have belong to a guild confraternity dedicated to the Virgin and St John the Baptist.

Interesting

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner... if I ever saw a find that should be on there this it :o :o

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tyre kicker said:

Good point

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
The bottom stem came away from the head leaving a square shaped hole in the search head.Got rid of the machine after fitting a polo head ( sharper than the 2D head).Iv'e got original Gmax, best machine iv'e ever had.
Robert

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
robfinds said:
CRUSADER said:
tyre kicker said:

Good point
How do I do it ?.

Spoken like a true beginner (to tnet that is). You have to earn it, its a magical power.

Vrent

Nov 30, 2004
surfside beach sc
:o :o :o great find and maybe the powers that be will give you a banner it deserves on although that celtic head on a roman coin could use one too

both of you great finds
HH Vrent

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vrent said:
:o :o :o great find and maybe the powers that be will give you a banner it deserves on although that celtic head on a roman coin could use one too

both of you great finds
HH Vrent

Not really, as I brought it. I was asked by Vercingetorix to post it.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Which may mean something along the lines of 'seal of the chapel of the blessed Mary of the stairs' (?).

I think it's more like:

"(lesser) blessed Mary of the ladder of heaven" possibly referring to the vision of St. Bernard and referencing the chapel of Scala Celi (heavenly ladder) in Rome.

I found a reference to The Lady chapel of the Austin Church at Norwich being permitted to used the name. A chapel at Westminster Abbey as well.

Yours is one of the most interesting finds I've seen on Tnet. I would say it is a BANNER item.

If you have more info, I'd like to know.

DCMatt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread