Large Onyx Ring - Real or Fake

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a thrift store I visit once in a while. They think they know what they are doing, but they don't. I heard the manager explaining to a lady why a nickel silver belt buckle was "really silver, but they need to add other metals to make it strong" and they had 4 sterling handled butter knives listed as plate.

This ring was listed as 14K white gold and was $95. It looked strange indoors. When I got outside, I realized it is because the white plate is worn off in many places. It's marked "STRFLL" and underneath it "750©". The ring is super heavy, and if it real I think it is 8 grams plus just for the gold.

So I took a chance and bought it. I don't have access to my testing kit right now, but will test later. What do you think? Real or fake?

Happy Thanksgiving!
bill

IMG_20171122_155442.jpg
IMG_20171122_155520.jpg
IMG_20171122_155556.jpg
IMG_20171122_155709.jpg

jochart

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my guess is that they acid tested to 14k and paid no attention to the 750 stamp. nice ring and a great deal at only $95, should be around $250 melt. I would definitely hang around that store when they bring out the new stuff.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep it's real. The maker is actually STRELL.

Actually Strell is short for Strellmans Jewelry and the design is exactly the style they specialize in. Great buy!

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks SCPicker and JimDon! The stone is loose and slightly chipped. Between the stone issues and the plate worn off, I'm going to pop the stone out. Can't wait to see what it weighs.

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Well....what's it weigh?

Nice find. Not knowing anything about it I would not have known to pick it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread