Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm in a patch of woods that has Continental Army history right up through farming, with an interstate within 50 yards.
With that being said, what is this large slab of what appears to be lead? Heavy and very soft. I found two.
Rings consitantly in the copper range of low 80s for me.
I am finding some in slivers of it in a few spots on the property.

20190623_142921.jpg 20190623_142959.jpg

Last edited:

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Prob plumbing:icon_thumleft: related, recycle it!

Upvote 0

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an eaves gutter to me.

Lead plumbing and partial roofing was used well after ww2. In fact, plumbing comes from latin plumbum = lead.

Greats

Namxat

Upvote 0

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Knights Templar, used to funnel the seawater through the tunnels to the treasure shaft.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ToastedWheatie

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Knights Templar, used to funnel the seawater through the tunnels to the treasure shaft.

Hmmmm....
Come to think of it, this was near a large rock. The rock was probably put there as a marker for the lead slab. I bet if I looked around, Id find another large rock, and they would have a straight line between them. We'll call it Xaos' line.

Upvote 0

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmm....
Come to think of it, this was near a large rock. The rock was probably put there as a marker for the lead slab. I bet if I looked around, Id find another large rock, and they would have a straight line between them. We'll call it Xaos' line.

Moreover, the alchemists always started with lead an mercury to produce gold. TW, you gonna be soon a TV star.

Greets

Namxat

Upvote 0

SWINGER1969

May 11, 2019
Morristown,Minnesota
Detector(s) used
garrett at max, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would take it home smelt it down and pour it into my lead soldier molds. Then when i'm done hunting a yard i can bury one for the next person to find.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ToastedWheatie

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When you bought / buy this stuff, is that the way it came? I've detected a lot of acreage, and never saw anything larger than a finger or hand.
I found THREE of these withing 100 feet.

I'm assuming it's not pure lead, as it rings high up in copper range. Some sort of flexible soft alloy.

Upvote 0

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty sure that's lead flashing such as is used for roofing.

Like others have suggested. I save all of my scrap lead, melt it down into ingots and sell it to guys who want to cast their own bullets.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That may be a splice case for an old telephone cable..it'll be soft lead. It appears to have been opened for repair. A new lead case would have been used and this discarded.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ToastedWheatie

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That may be a splice case for an old telephone cable..it'll be soft lead. It appears to have been opened for repair. A new lead case would have been used and this discarded.

I think you may have nailed it!
I saw evidence that there were telephone poles that once were there, but I couldn't find any. They must have pulled the poles when they put in the interstate 50 yards away.
That would explain finding multiple of these, in different lengths, along the top of the ridge.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you know anyone who molds their own bullets for muzzle loaders, that is what I have used for years...its about as pure lead as you can get. For a little history on those cables. The entire length of cable was sheathed in lead. The cable pairs inside were covered with wrapped paper along with the bundle of pairs wrapped in muslin. If the outer sheath got damaged the entire section of cable would be in trouble once water leaked into it. The paper would soak it up along with the muslin and the cable would fail. A low volume of air was supplied by tanks to keep a light pressure to make the water blow out (ya'll might have wondered what those air bottles were doing next to those telephone poles)...The lead cables in the town I worked in were buried in the 40s. By the time I retired in 03, most were abandoned off of except a few larger underground feeders running in duct works.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ToastedWheatie

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A low volume of air was supplied by tanks to keep a light pressure to make the water blow out (ya'll might have wondered what those air bottles were doing next to those telephone poles)...The lead cables in the town I worked in were buried in the 40s. By the time I retired in 03, most were abandoned off of except a few larger underground feeders running in duct works.

YES, I DID!

I remember as a kid I told my dad that it must be helium to help hold the wires up!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread