large smoky quartz crystals

slottechaj

Greenie
Oct 27, 2014
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've Been Finding Large Smoky Quartz Crystals at A secret Little Spot For Several years. Everything From Pea Sized To Large Terminated Crystals, And Everything From Black To rock Crystal. they're Near A Creek Some Have Been Washed Out But Most Are Just Randomly In The clay And Pegmatite. Some Are Very Nice Specimens Others Are Chips And What Looks Like Crystals That Have Come Off Their Matrix. Very Few Are Still On Rock And Matrix Of Any Kind. are They Growing Straight Out Of They Clay Or Did They Decay Out Of A Vein Or vug Into This conglomerate. some Of The Crystals Are Nearly Flawless Inside With Great Color. Would someone Use Them For LapidaryAnd What Could They Be Worth. I'm Wondering If It Would Be Worth Spending More Then A Few Days A Year Up There Digging. IMG_20141027_210225.jpg

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are more than just fish tank décor, but I like the idea, lol. They sound like they are part of an alluvial deposit from veins in the vicinity. They would be interesting collectors specimens and they could be cut as well. The value is more in the eye of the collector or lapidary artist cutting it. Very neat finds and please show more when you can. Welcome to TreasureNet! -Luke

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Since he said it was found in clay and pegmatite, I think he found where it originated from. Not alluvial, which is water transported. :)
If you find someone willing to buy the crystals/finds at the right price, yes, it can be worthwhile to dig into the hill.

Many finds in pegmatites occur with clay, which comes from the formation of the "pocket".

Upvote 0

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Ah, whoops, lol. Would that be a "residual" deposit?

I made a post that never showed up, lol. I read what he stated in the first post entirely wrong and thought he said "pea-SHAPED" not "pea-SIZED". That's why I brought up alluvial deposits. Thanks for keeping me straight EU!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Flick420

Jan 14, 2011
If I had the opportunity id dig in that area as much as possible, you never know what you might find and those are some nice large crystals. My dream is to find a small spot like that.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ah, whoops, lol. Would that be a "residual" deposit?

No, the pegmatite is likely the origin of the crystals. Its the "source".

What can be found on the hill down to the creek is eluvium.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

slottechaj

Greenie
Oct 27, 2014
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here's One That My Brother InLaw Found On His First Time Up There. Double Terminated. IMG_20141102_075729_990.jpg IMG_20141102_075829_269.jpg IMG_20141102_075817_654.jpg IMG_20141102_075829_269.jpg
It weighs 12 Pounds

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you have a fine area to hunt in. Double terminated specimens are a great indicator for some really good crystals. Pockets of crystals found in decayed host rock are usually filled with clay however even the host rock vugs will be filled with it as well and that's where you'll find crystals with double terminations to have formed. Most crystals form on the walls of a vug. You might want to loam the area with a rake and shovel where your finding the highest numbers of crystals that have eroded out of the host rock. You may find plates with combinations of crystals.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

slottechaj

Greenie
Oct 27, 2014
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks For All The Comments Guys. My Kids broke Our Computer So I'm Using My Phone For Now That's Why I'veBeen So Slow To Comment. I'll post some More Pictures Of some Of The Other Rocks I've Found Around The Crystals. I've Found Muscovite, Feldspar, And garnet Also. IMG_20141103_112457_904.jpg IMG_20141103_112741_072.jpg IMG_20141103_112619_349.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

slottechaj

Greenie
Oct 27, 2014
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
burntBear eagleDown Passed!? I Loved Reading His Threads On Maripossa County. I would've loved To sit Down With Him And Listen To His stories. Feel Kind Of Bummed. I May Have Just Finally Joined Tn But I've Been sneaking On Here Reading His Stories For A Couple Years.

Upvote 0

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There might be other minerals like topaz and aquamarine beryl in the mix, I see the garnets on quartz in one of your pictures. I would love to facet some smoky quartz, but it is usually way too dark when I find it at Dismal Swamp here in Idaho. I love what you are finding, those smokies are incredible!

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like your getting some quite gemmy pieces!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread