Large Tectite

S

SeaProbe

My brother has what I think would be classified as a Tektite it hit a hill side in Colorado in about 1984. My brother and cousin went looking for it and came back with this black rock and said it was hot and they had to use their shirts to hold it at first. It had hit on a steep shale hillside maybe a hundred yards long and was sitting out in the open. The thing was or is maybe 30lbs and black I have no pictures of it I am In New Orleans and it is in Colorado. I was wondering what it might be worth if the boys did not dupe us all it is slick and black and I could find no other rocks that were even close to it in the same area.

S

stoneman

Hi-- Tektites are a form of glass from outer space usually no larger than a golf ball. There have never been any found any futher north than south Texas & Georgia. A lot of them come from the Philippines islands & China. I have one but don't know how to post photos. They have a black crust on the serface If you have a strong enough light you can see inside a little bit usually shows some green color :)

don

Jan 21, 2005
fresh falls are never hot to the touch unless it landed at your feet and then it could be warm but most often cool to the touch.
the reason it could have been hot is you did say it was black, and you know black attracts the heat from the sun, and a rock can be hot to the touch sitting in the hot sun.

Crystallize

Apr 12, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a few tektites, I collected them for a while,
specially as I like space also ;D

Attachments

• 10.gif
    10.gif
    66.8 KB · Views: 454

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread