Large Token- John J. Gahret

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
I found this token. It is about the size of a silver dollar. On one side it says " John J. Gahret Rushville, Indiana". It has a large eagle on this side.
The other side says "good for 5 cent drink", and has a large "G" in the middle.
Two Questions:
1) Anyone ever heard of this token?
2) Is there a way to clean it better? I believe it is aluminum.

Thanks in advance,
Jon Dickinson
www.prehistoricartifacts.com

Attachments

• metaldetecting41708a.jpg
    metaldetecting41708a.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 161
  • metaldetecting41708b.jpg
    metaldetecting41708b.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 158

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find! This token is listed in Wagaman's Indiana Trade Tokens book. At the time of the book, 1981, only one of that token was known. The 1910 Census shows him as a "Restaurant Keeper".

As for cleaning it, aluminum in certain ground conditions tends to turn to aluminum oxide, a whitish powdery stuff that takes up more room than the original aluminum. And the chemical change seems to take place in uneven amounts, sometimes resulting in wormholes through the aluminum that are filled with aluminum oxide. I wouldn't recommend doing much in the way of cleaning it - that can often result in ruination as far as collector value. Once you have done what you are going to do to clean it (water and a toothbrush is what I'd use), dry it thoroughly, maybe inside a sunny window for a week or so, then put it in a 2x2 coin holder with the edges sealed to keep humidity out.

John in ID

OP
OP
pointdlr

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Idaho,

Thanks for the great information!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are tokens worth anything? It seems like it might be with only one other known. I don't have much interest in tokens( I like coins), so it would be an item that I could sell/trade. Is there a venue for token collectors to trade?

Thanks Again,
Jon.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Jon--Yes, tokens are worth something, but it varies all over the place based on a bunch of factors. Like anything supply and demand rules, but in general, the both the supply and demand for tokens is lower than the supply and demand for coins. Plus there are differences between the "markets" for tokens in various states. On average, token values for western states are higher than for eastern states. Some states get hot while others get cool. Since many token collectors collect by state, it depends on how many are after a particular state at one time. Indiana tokens are not high priced right now. Even though your token is shown in the 1981 book as only one known, there are quite a few known from the town. Plus, others could have shown up since then.

And, it seems, some state collectors are after every variety from every business from every town whereas other state collectors are happy with one per town in a state. The former method drives prices up and the latter method drives prices down.

As for venue, ePay is the most popular and widely-followed site to sell now. If you are buying, the selection is there if you are patient. If you are selling, you get the best exposure, but not necessarily the best price. Several of the token collector groups have regional or national shows where you probably could get the best price, but if you only are selling a few tokens, it would be hardly worth traveling to such a show. That leaves ePay...

John in ID

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread