sgtwilks

Mar 18, 2013
Berlin NJ
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro-Minelab X-terra 705-Fisher f4
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DSC00629.JPG DSC00630.JPG Hello,
Well 2 weeks ago I had never seen a Barber coin in person now I own five! Ill start with my own propery. I hunted this property several times with other detectors with some luck. I thought there were no more good tones to dig here. I stepped out of my garage after resetting my 705 because it was acting goofy. I went to ground balance it and hit a 44 soild in both directions. I dug 8 or 9 inches down on the second shovel of dirt on top I saw a coin with an eagle on the back. I was like what the hell is that I picked it up and could not believe it. I searched the area around that coin site and found a barber dime 1916. I also found a toasted merc no date.

Second hunt was at a property scheduled for demo next to a famous SJ inn. This yard was used to mingle next to the inn restaurant. I found a Barber quarters 1907 O and another 1916 Barber dime no mint mark. I went back the second day and found an 1908 O quarter. I went back the 3rd day and found 3 washingtons1955,1953 D and 1943. DSC00639.JPG DSC00658.JPG DSC00636.JPG DSC00631.JPG DSC00648.JPG

I searched my property again and found 3 sterling spoons. My first 3 sterling spoons then went back to the inn and found a 1923 franc. I almost had a heart attack I thought it was gold. It rang up in the gold area and was gold in color but it is bronze. I hope you enjoy the pics.

These two hunts were the first time I found more silver than clad. My 705 must have gotten a little deeper then what the other detectorist were using.There were some holes with trash next to them.

Last edited:
Upvote 11
OP
OP
sgtwilks

sgtwilks

Mar 18, 2013
Berlin NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome man just awesome .

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats a great two weeks for sure! What coil are you getting?

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice silvers !:icon_thumright:

stewielouie

May 14, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
MXT, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet looking pile of dirt in the last pic! Congrats on all those silvers!

materdigger1

Jun 7, 2012
Natchez, Mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Teknetics T2SE , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven 25 digging tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you ought to change your name to Silver Hound - WTG - you and that 705 are on fire- keep it up! Awsoem finds riter there

OP
OP
sgtwilks

sgtwilks

Mar 18, 2013
Berlin NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow!!! That is one fine load of silver, hope the luck continues. : ) HH

nice silvers !:icon_thumright:

Looks like you ought to change your name to Silver Hound - WTG - you and that 705 are on fire- keep it up! Awsoem finds riter there

Thank you. Things slowed down a bit. Waiting for my new DD coil to hit it again!!Thanks !!

OP
OP
sgtwilks

sgtwilks

Mar 18, 2013
Berlin NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Stewie I thought I hit the jackpot when all that stuff came out. It looked like a 60 coins but turned out to be a washington,a sterling spoon and a clad quarter and some wheaties. Im not complaining but it just looked better than it was.

2mtech

Feb 16, 2013
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a great haul! Your 705 must work better than mine...four trips out pounding it and it hasn't found anything but cans ;)

OP
OP
sgtwilks

sgtwilks

Mar 18, 2013
Berlin NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a great haul! Your 705 must work better than mine...four trips out pounding it and it hasn't found anything but cans ;)

I felt the same way you do now. I set the my detector up this way. I hope it works for you. I crank up the sensitivity to 30. I set the detector to all metal. I Auto noise cancel the detector(this should quiet it down). I ground balance the detector. I leave it set to all metal and use 4 tones. Swing the detector slow and listen for the tones you are looking for. In all metal mode you can listen for high tone hidden in iron. If you are in a coin pattern the detector will block out the iron and may take the high tone with it. You have to swing this detector slow it does not have a fast responce time. Ive gone back on iffy signals and found stuff. That machine will hit silver hard. I noticed one thing on a silver quarter it would ring up 40-42 but a little chatty. I just got used to it and reconize that sound as silver.

2mtech

Feb 16, 2013
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I felt the same way you do now. I set the my detector up this way. I hope it works for you. I crank up the sensitivity to 30. I set the detector to all metal. I Auto noise cancel the detector(this should quiet it down). I ground balance the detector. I leave it set to all metal and use 4 tones. Swing the detector slow and listen for the tones you are looking for. In all metal mode you can listen for high tone hidden in iron. If you are in a coin pattern the detector will block out the iron and may take the high tone with it. You have to swing this detector slow it does not have a fast responce time. Ive gone back on iffy signals and found stuff. That machine will hit silver hard. I noticed one thing on a silver quarter it would ring up 40-42 but a little chatty. I just got used to it and reconize that sound as silver.

Thanks for sharing! I do need to remember to slow down on the swing. Haven't tried it with the sensitivity up that high either. My plan for next trip was to tape off a 10' x 10' block of one of the fields I've been hunting that should be high-producing according to research and dig every signal with a notebook along till I learn what this machine is telling me...I'm going to try your setup too ;) HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions