Last dig.. And a LARGE CENT

brsmith12

Jun 28, 2012
Started hunting today with a friend around noon at a local late 1800's community's and came up with trash for about 5 hours. Just to add these were my friend's best spots. After the hard work I took him to a spot I always use as a backup plan. The spot is a early house that is rumored to have had late 1600's cabins on the property. As a kid the house was a party spot that my parents went to every weekend and to keep me occupied they would send me out in the field of the property to find arrowheads and pipe stems which I did(hence why I MD now). Now knowing of the spot when my friend started swinging in the yard and digging all of the aluminum left from all of the parties I went out into the field where I remembered finding lots of pipe stems. After observing a few square nails I get a super solid signal out in a low spot of this field. Once I popped the plug and flipped it I watched the large cent slide out. I made out the date once I got home and it's 1816. The earliest u.s. coin for me so far!! After celebrating I'm needing to know how I should clean this up without damaging it. All advice helps and HH to everyone

image-1285150765.jpg

image-3099818824.jpg

Upvote 3

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Large Cent! It Looks Like It Will Clean Up Nice! It's In Great Shape! Way To Go!

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats awesome man looks like its in pretty shape !

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic. In great shape too!

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That ones a beauty.:icon_thumleft:

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
It's totally cool that you dug that wonderful coin in the same place where you'd foraged for arrowheads as a kid. No doubt you walked or ran over that coin a few times when seeking arrowheads & pipestems! Great story! Andi

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a beauty, tons of detail, that will turn out great.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking coin! Congrats!

HH,
Anita

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread