Last four hunts and a V by a V thats a tree - huh?

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Last four hunts and a V by a V that's a tree - huh?

Well, when the weather cleared up, we got huntin'! In the woods that is. Got out Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and today. Not a whole lot of great stuff - Watercolor got the silver! Some of the ground was rock hard and some was mush, with a little of everything in between. On Sunday, I got a 16 and a 20 wheat, a couple dog tags and part of an old cigarette pack holder.

0208.jpg

The next day I found a 1914 wheat (No "D" - dang! :( ) and Mark found most of the rest of the cigarette pack holder.

The next day we hit a different spot and I found a couple knife parts, a harmonica reed, a bugle mouthpiece, a 1919 wheat, a 1903 Indian that was rotted around the edges, and two buffalos - 1918 & 1919.

0210a.jpg

Since the Indian was so rotten, I decided to get lazy and do electrolysis on it. Now it's even more crappy! LOL!!

0210b.jpg

Oh yeah, I found a full size hand saw hidden under the leaves. Did that sucker ever ring off! :o Of course I had to carry that darrn thing around for the rest of the hunt. I guess it serves me right for laughing at Watercolor when he finds a horseshoe or a cast iron stove part early in a hunt. ;D Any of you local guys into hand tools and want it?

0210c.jpg

Then today came along. I went out to the grove where Mark got his gorgeous Mercs and where he's killing the CJ toys. I was gunning for either a silver or a Cracker Jack toy, since the light bulb came on :sign13: and I finally scanned his to see how they were reading on the SE.

I went over by this tree that is shaped like a "V":

0212.jpg

I got a signal and figured I might get a CJ toy, and out pops this 1895 V-nickel, my second V that I've ever found. I don't think I'm going to clean this one any more than I have.

0212b.jpg

Sorry for all the pics and the long post, but It's been a while since I found anything post-worthy and I'm a little bored. Thanks for checking it out. Can anyone tell me when the rest of the silver migrates back to these parts? :tongue3:

HH to all!!!

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Last four hunts and a V by a V that's a tree - huh?

Neat finds, especially the "V" by the "V". I still have yet to find my first V (Thought that token was one until I cleaned it off). Ground was the same when I went out. Mush in some parts, and concrete hard in others. It feels good to get out though, and the ground shark does pretty well in that hard ground. HH!

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You do have a nice group of finds :thumbsup:. . . a lot of history represented.

I would look at the Indian penny again. . . I think someone tried to shave
or clip the edges on purpose for something. . . maybe an early dime vender?

Finding that V-nick by the V-tree was a great find. . . and where you found it was so logical :D
(All we got to do is look for the red & white barber poles the next time we're out there)

Great hunts!
Mark

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome job on those oldies bud!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's the way to start the year....

Can't wait to get out....Soon ...

Nice job...

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250

congrats on the coins and the days out detecting.

Funkman

rdb7

Apr 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace250 w/ eXcelerator 10x14 DD coil

nice finds! love that V

do you guys have some forest preserve with tons of history? ie: if i just go to a palos forest preserve an scan around am i likely to find old coins OR is there history and research assisting here?

Thanks!

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1

Great finds and pics Kimsdad! I gotta get me a V nickel this year, among other things ;)

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75

Nice finds Neil!
You guys sure have been tearing it up lately and getting a good head start for the season. If we don't get the 4-6"
of snow hopefully I'll get out this weekend and try to catch up.
Mike

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Sweet digs! gotta get me a ride out there one of these days!

OP
OP
kimsdad

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Detector(s) used

jon_giebult said:
Neat finds, especially the "V" by the "V". I still have yet to find my first V (Thought that token was one until I cleaned it off). Ground was the same when I went out. Mush in some parts, and concrete hard in others. It feels good to get out though, and the ground shark does pretty well in that hard ground. HH!
Thanks! Mark introduced me to his extra shovel, and I can't imagine trying to dig in there without it!

bucnrut said:
Excellent finds Neil! Looks like you started the year off right. I especially like the "V". It looks good just the way it is. I ruined my first one by trying to clean it too much. The bugle mouthpiece is cool. Is there anyway to tell how old it is?
Thanks Guy! No markings on the mouthpiece. I thought it looked old, but lot's of new ones look old, too. It was under a tree root, though - so it had to be there a while.

watercolor said:
You do have a nice group of finds :thumbsup:. . . a lot of history represented.

I would look at the Indian penny again. . . I think someone tried to shave
or clip the edges on purpose for something. . . maybe an early dime vender?

Finding that V-nick by the V-tree was a great find. . . and where you found it was so logical :D
(All we got to do is look for the red & white barber poles the next time we're out there)

Great hunts!
Mark
Thanks Mark! Wanna trade the V for those 2 Mercs??? ;D

TreasureFiend said:
Awesome job on those oldies bud!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks Kermit. I appreciate it!

What !! Your Leaving to go MD said:
That's the way to start the year....
Can't wait to get out....Soon ...
Nice job...
Sorry you couldn't get out with us, Bob. I hope your back starts to feel better!

Gibbsium said:
Man, detecting 4 out of the last 5 days, V for victory :thumbsup:
;D ;D ;D Thanks, Patrick!

funkman said:
congrats on the coins and the days out detecting.
Funkman
I appreciate it, Funkman!

rdb7 said:
nice finds! love that V
do you guys have some forest preserve with tons of history? ie: if i just go to a palos forest preserve an scan around am i likely to find old coins OR is there history and research assisting here?
Thanks!
Thanks! Many of the groves around here are pretty old. I don't know about the Palos area, but probably there are old ones by you, too. Research pays off, for sure. At the very least, look at the area in the '38 aerials. You can also check your historical society, and some towns have history books that were well researched and written and may be at the society or the library. I'm no expert, for sure, but I know a lot of the guys on our forum have tons of knowledge on area history. If I'm not mistaken, the FP bought up a lot of farm land and let it go to forest. You'll be able to tell that on the aerials, so you can see older areas right there, and find old building sites. I look for old growth trees and signs of old activity, too (old mason jar lids, old bottle parts, old style can lids, etc.) Good luck!

Brett said:
Great finds and pics Kimsdad! I gotta get me a V nickel this year, among other things ;)
Thanks, Brett! The way you're hauling in the great finds, it's going to be soon, I'm sure! :wink:

mikewaz said:
Nice finds Neil!
You guys sure have been tearing it up lately and getting a good head start for the season. If we don't get the 4-6"
of snow hopefully I'll get out this weekend and try to catch up.
Mike
Thanks Mike - I've been looking for the mate to that sweet half-dime you found!!!

Mr. Pappagiorgio said:
Splendifferous ... :thumbsup:

Just Flippin Splendifferous ...

A Righteous Assortment iced off with a Voluptuous "V"

A Super High Five kimsdad ...

~ Nick ~
Why thank you, Nick!! Good luck on Sunday!

Lowbatts said:
Sweet digs! gotta get me a ride out there one of these days!
Thanks, Tim!! Man, you've got to come back out here for sure! Let us know when you're coming & we'll join ya! :thumbsup:

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS

Great finds! Man, I love that V. I only found one V nickel, and although it is a key date (1896), it looks like it was lost in 1950 because it is really worn down. I can't wait to get out again this season. My doctor finally released me of my arm splint, so I won't have to worry about that. I'd love to pull a nice V like that, or some more IH's. Of course silver would be nice too! Congrats!

Joe

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi kimsdad,
Nice finds,Not boring at all to look at ,and I'm sure you were not bored when you found them..........How did you clean the 2 buffs in your picture Electrolisis?....I just wonder if you did a reverse electrolisis with a new or newer nickle ,if that might clean it up a bit.........The I.H. was gone tho ,No loss cleaning that one....I have found quit a few I.H's,and wheaties that damaged as well.....
Carry on ....Good Job.

John Deere Digger

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2007
So Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Prism5, Minelab SE

Nice job on the finds. I like the V by the V. I don't have any luck with nickles, every time I did that nickle signal out pops that pull tab. You would think I would get lucky once in a while. HH
JDD

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker

HI NEIL
LIKE THE FINDS,THE NICKLES ARE GREAT.I WOULD LIKE TO FIND A COUPLE. THE PICTURES ARE GREAT. IT IS A SUPER POST. AY LEAST YOU FOUND SOMETHING TO DO DURING THE BAD WEATHER.
WILL NOT BE LONG BEFORE YOU CAN GET OUT AND HUNT WHEN YOU WANT TO. HAVE A GREAT DAY.

OP
OP
kimsdad

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Detector(s) used

twistidd said:
Great finds! Man, I love that V. I only found one V nickel, and although it is a key date (1896), it looks like it was lost in 1950 because it is really worn down. I can't wait to get out again this season. My doctor finally released me of my arm splint, so I won't have to worry about that. I'd love to pull a nice V like that, or some more IH's. Of course silver would be nice too! Congrats!

Joe
Thanks Joe! Can't wait to see you back out there swingin' & diggin'!! :wink:

McEtrak said:
Hi kimsdad,
Nice finds,Not boring at all to look at ,and I'm sure you were not bored when you found them..........How did you clean the 2 buffs in your picture Electrolisis?....I just wonder if you did a reverse electrolisis with a new or newer nickle ,if that might clean it up a bit.........The I.H. was gone tho ,No loss cleaning that one....I have found quit a few I.H's,and wheaties that damaged as well.....
Carry on ....Good Job.
Thanks for the kind words, McE!! I learned from Watercolor to clean buffalo nickels in Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce . I heat it in the microwave before I put the nickels in. I agitate once in a while, and occasionally pull them out & scrub them with a toothbrush then rinse & dry them & put them back in. Takes a while, but it smells good and does a nice job.

John Deere Digger said:
Nice job on the finds. I like the V by the V. I don't have any luck with nickles, every time I did that nickle signal out pops that pull tab. You would think I would get lucky once in a while. HH
JDD
Thanks JDD! I can't tell you how many pull tabs and shotgun shells I've dug looking for nickels! Depth isn't a good indicator for me, either. I've found pull tabs and shells at 6 inches and buffs at 2 inches. I'm sure I've passed good targets by. I sure wish I could hit the silver like you. :wink:

kdismuke1 said:
HI NEIL
LIKE THE FINDS,THE NICKLES ARE GREAT.I WOULD LIKE TO FIND A COUPLE. THE PICTURES ARE GREAT. IT IS A SUPER POST. AY LEAST YOU FOUND SOMETHING TO DO DURING THE BAD WEATHER.
WILL NOT BE LONG BEFORE YOU CAN GET OUT AND HUNT WHEN YOU WANT TO. HAVE A GREAT DAY.
Thanks Kyle! Thanks for checking out my post. I'm glad you're well on the road to recovery!! You'll be ready to go when the weather cooperates, I'm sure! :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions