SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Last Friday's colonial hunt and pit dig with Joey

Joey burned another day of leave to get together for a road trip to a neighboring county to a site not far from where I dug the Lord Baltimore sixpence a couple of months back. It was the location of a colonial tobacco warehouse, and we had high expectations for the site. We had previously walked the fields next to the yard that contained the early warehouse, but we found very little outside of Joey's cob. But we stopped by the owner's house and secured permission to hunt the yard, and couldn't wait to get in there as the huge oak trees that graced the yard had to be at least 300 years old. But as is the case many times, the sandy soil had allowed the goodies to sink out of detector range as was confirmed when both of us dug memorial pennies at about 10". At that point we decided to head back over to an old site where we had discovered recently that the colonial pit we had dug there last year extended quite a bit further than originally thought. So we probed out good spots and started our excavations. Both holes were full of brick and oyster shells down to the 3-4 ft level, and some pottery, glass, animal bones and a couple pipe stems were also mixed in. It wasn't quite what we were looking for, but the pit is quite expansive and we'll definitely be going back and hopefully get into a more productive area next time. We finished out the day hunting in the adjacent field using our new machines with the 5" coils using FA mode and squeezed out a few more buttons and tacks. Can't always come home with a hand-full of Spanish silver, but I still had a great time working up a good sweat in the pit, which for me is more fun than detecting.

Attachments

• 120514f.jpg
    120514f.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 177
  • 120514b.jpg
    120514b.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 142
  • 120514c.jpg
    120514c.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 154
  • 120514d.jpg
    120514d.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 149
  • 120514e.jpg
    120514e.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 138
  • 120514a.jpg
    120514a.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 156
Upvote 8

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That has to be the biggest oak tree that I have ever saw . I wonder what the circumference is at 4 ft. above the ground??????????Lord only knows what lies deep in the ground around it . Nice finds and good luck when you return to the site .The pit should have something hiding somewhere.vanzutphen

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That has to be the biggest oak tree that I have ever saw . I wonder what the circumference is at 4 ft. above the ground??????????Lord only knows what lies deep in the ground around it . Nice finds and good luck when you return to the site .The pit should have something hiding somewhere.vanzutphen
Oh man when you said oak tree you had me going for a sec...

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
:icon_flower: :notworthy: Really appreciate your detailed descriptions of what you guys are doing & the wonderful site photos! :notworthy: :blob3: Your adventures are fascinating to follow online whether or not you dig what you expect each time. :notworthy: During my 40 years living & hiking in central VA, I only saw a few deep-woods trees as old as that farm tree. Wow what a tree! :icon_thumright: Andi

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tree it's self is awesome! Congrats on your finds! I think we have the same digger but mine doesn't find half the stuff yours does! :laughing7:
You are inspiration to us all! Keep up the good work!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a couple of pics of me from 1992 in front of an oak tree that was estimated to be 400 years old. At one time, it was thought to be the oldest tree in RI. It was known around here as "The Hanging Tree". Unfortunately, the tree was hit by lightning a few times in the 1990's and no longer exists.

oak tree (1).JPG oak tree 2.JPG

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Since everyone is interested in that huge tree, here's an old pic from a site in another county taken about 15 years ago. This oak tree was in the yard of a colonial home dating to 1663, and that can be verified by the etched brick the owner found in her flowerbed next to the chimney (see pic below). We found a number of early colonial coins here as well as some CS buttons. Those giant trees almost always indicate an early site.

huge oak tree.jpg

1663brick2.jpg

Last edited:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Just think of all the toothpicks you could get from a tree that big. :laughing7:
I love that heart shaped hole you dug Bill. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the post and pictures,
Doug

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As always thanks for a fantastic post. The photos are terrific

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sure is a perplexing site Bill. Big trees, water front, natural landing, research indicating a tobacco warehouse and hardly a signal!! I had fun anyway and hopefully we can get back out detecting. soon.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I say you rent a bobcat, scrap off 2 foot of overburden and see what your detectors hear at that point. I love ancient oaks like that one, just not in my yard or near my house. Look forward to your future posts. They tide me over till you send me your newest magazine articles.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post Bill, even though you didn't come home with a pocket full of silver you are still finding all the right indicators. There has to be some hot spots there somewhere there or at least a higher then normal number of random drops. I say that spot is worth a few more trips back. Good luck
ZDD

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great pictures of the hunt Bill, the heart shaped hole kind of looks like a large privy hole shape for a wide arse.:laughing7:
Not every hunt is a producer and it seems that there was no lack in trying either.
Great looking oak tree, the oak trees of Savannah are my favorite with the Spanish mosses hanging down.

Just had the Parks Dept. take a oak tree after it lost a 22' diameter limb onto our yard. The tree though mostly hollow was 5.75 ft in diameter, the tape was 18.75' when we measured the circumference.

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post and awesome on site pics!

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what a neat looking place!.You guys are doing some digging aint ya.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Great pictures of the hunt Bill, the heart shaped hole kind of looks like a large privy hole shape for a wide arse.:laughing7:
Not every hunt is a producer and it seems that there was no lack in trying either.
Great looking oak tree, the oak trees of Savannah are my favorite with the Spanish mosses hanging down.

Just had the Parks Dept. take a oak tree after it lost a 22' diameter limb onto our yard. The tree though mostly hollow was 5.75 ft in diameter, the tape was 18.75' when we measured the circumference.

I hadn't even paid any attention to the shape of the pit, but that's almost a perfect heart isn't it? Not my intentions but still kinda cool.

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
getting caught up...awesome hunt guys!

I have to dig one up of me standing inside of a 400 year old poplar...and I am no small potato.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread