Last hunt of the season for me

jas314

Jul 28, 2011
Washington
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, this is it for me this year. The ground was so frozen I could only dig maybe 1 out of every 20 singals I got :BangHead: But had a great time doing it, and it ended with silver so that makes me happy. And really the 1915 Canadian dime is a good year and so is the 1912 S wheat too. Happy hunting everyone and thanks for looking

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,197
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,191
Upvote 0

mjc_lakedweller

Nov 14, 2011
Kzoo County, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro,
Garrett ACE350,
Fisher CZ-20,
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That 1912S Wheatie looks great! Way to go out with a bang. Pretty soon our grounds in MI will be solid and I'll have to get into the researching.

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jas314 said:
Well, this is it for me this year. The ground was so frozen I could only dig maybe 1 out of every 20 singals I got :BangHead: But had a great time doing it, and it ended with silver so that makes me happy. And really the 1915 Canadian dime is a good year and so is the 1912 S wheat too. Happy hunting everyone and thanks for looking
WAY TO GO. NICE COINS.
YOU COULD ALWAYS HEAD DOWN TO FLORIDA, AND ENJOY THE WEATHER AND HUNTING. :icon_pirat:

Mud Magnet

Nov 19, 2011
Western Montana
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yarp I know the feelin. I finally decided to hang it up for the season yesterday after spending 20 minutes chipping a 1924d Wheat out of a frozen lake bed.
IMAG0345.jpg

The mud was only frozen a couple inches deep under these frozen puddles unfortunately I didn't figure that out until the end of the day.
IMAG0346.jpg

Thinking about heading over to Seattle in January to get some digging in. Do you know anything about park restrictions over there?

TheGeorgiaCanuck

Oct 20, 2011
Surrey, BC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lovely wheat cents, though I'd take that silver any day over a wheat cent. :hello2:

OP
OP
jas314

jas314

Jul 28, 2011
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mud Magnet said:
Yarp I know the feelin. I finally decided to hang it up for the season yesterday after spending 20 minutes chipping a 1924d Wheat out of a frozen lake bed.
IMAG0345.jpg

The mud was only frozen a couple inches deep under these frozen puddles unfortunately I didn't figure that out until the end of the day.
IMAG0346.jpg

Thinking about heading over to Seattle in January to get some digging in. Do you know anything about park restrictions over there?
No Cant say as I've ever detected in Seattle. My brother has I will ask him, but if I remember right what he did was just sidewalk strips..
I hear ya about it taking 20mins just to get a coin out. Today was rough. I even snapped a screwdriver trying to get a hole started as a knife or a shovel just wasnt doing it lo.
TheGeorgiaCanuck said:
Lovely wheat cents, though I'd take that silver any day over a wheat cent. :hello2:
I like finding wheats and ih's some people say they get tired of digging them, but I never seem too :laughing7: Love finding silver too though ;D
mjc_lakedweller said:
That 1912S Wheatie looks great! Way to go out with a bang. Pretty soon our grounds in MI will be solid and I'll have to get into the researching.
Yup time to do research here too.
tarpon192 said:
jas314 said:
WAY TO GO. NICE COINS.
YOU COULD ALWAYS HEAD DOWN TO FLORIDA, AND ENJOY THE WEATHER AND HUNTING. :icon_pirat:
Dunno If I would pick florida, but Im sure I could find some place warmer I've always wanted to detect ;D

TheGeorgiaCanuck

Oct 20, 2011
Surrey, BC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh I don't mind finding old coins of any kind. But I have a real love for old silver. I'm still hunting for my 1st fishscale.

OP
OP
jas314

jas314

Jul 28, 2011
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TheGeorgiaCanuck said:
Oh I don't mind finding old coins of any kind. But I have a real love for old silver. I'm still hunting for my 1st fishscale.
Same here yet to find one of the Canadian 5 centers. Find the dime quite often though. I would really love to find a LC from Canada as well ;D

TheGeorgiaCanuck

Oct 20, 2011
Surrey, BC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jas314 said:
TheGeorgiaCanuck said:
Same here yet to find one of the Canadian 5 centers. Find the dime quite often though. I would really love to find a LC from Canada as well ;D

Yep I'm still trying for a LC too. Oldest so far is two 1934 pennies and a 1908 V nickle in very bad shape.

metalman531

Sep 25, 2011
washington
Detector(s) used
whites.minelab.tesoro.garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya today really sucked as far as digging goes,but hey we will be back out there before we know it.just gotta wait for mother nature to get the cold out of its system. :blob7:

Mud Magnet

Nov 19, 2011
Western Montana
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jas314 said:
TheGeorgiaCanuck said:

Didn't know they were called fishscales, found my first one in November. Didn't even know about this denomination until I found it.
IMAG0349.jpg

Would love to add a Canadian Large cent to the collection someday.

TheGeorgiaCanuck

Oct 20, 2011
Surrey, BC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mud Magnet said:
jas314 said:
TheGeorgiaCanuck said:

Didn't know they were called fishscales, found my first one in November. Didn't even know about this denomination until I found it.
IMAG0349.jpg

Would love to add a Canadian Large cent to the collection someday.

The first Canadian five-cent coins were struck by the Royal Mint in London as part of the introductory 1858 coinage of the Province of Canada. The coins were the same size and general composition as the corresponding American coins of the time, so the five-cent coin was based on the half dime. Although the American denomination was introduced as a larger copper-nickel coin in 1866, and the 5 cent silver was retired in 1873, the Canadian five-cent coins remained small and silver until 1922.

All Canadian coins (including five-cent coins) were struck in England at the Royal Mint (no mint mark) and the Birmingham Mint (H mint mark) until 1908, when the Ottawa branch of the Royal Mint opened. With the exception of some 1968 dimes struck at the Philadelphia Mint, all Canadian coins since 1908 have been minted in Canada.

Due to a rise in the price of silver, Canadian coinage was debased from sterling silver (925 fine) to 800 fine in 1920. In 1922, silver was removed entirely from the five-cent coin, replacing it with a coin of roughly the same dimensions and mass as the American nickel. However, unlike the American coin, which was 75% copper and 25% nickel, the Canadian coin was pure nickel, as Canada was the world's largest producer of the metal. This coin has since been known almost universally as the nickel.

The five-cent coin of Newfoundland, on the other hand, remained silver until the end of the Newfoundland coinage in 1947.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jas--great finds!! I love old silver as well, and the pennies are sweet!

TheGeorgiaCanuck said:

Found two fishscales this fall: 1914 and 1917--blew me away. A guy had his yard ripped-up for renovations and he let me hunt it--lots of old pennies as well.

All the best,

Lanny

treasurepirate1

Aug 21, 2010
Ontario canada
Detector(s) used
fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the season is pretty much over for me as well we have an inch of snow now, but may manage a couple more holes.

kleinerschmitter

Aug 21, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Excalibur II, Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't even imagine what it must be like to have frozen solid ground, I live in Central Texas and not trying to rub it in but can detect all winter long. Sure, it will get cold and below freezing sometimes, but more often than not our January days reach highs above the 60s rather than below 32. I don't think the ground has been frozen more than a small layer on top anytime during my life. Now, we do have to watch out for those 111-115 degree days during the summer and the last couple of summers we've had 60+ consecutive days of 100+ weather. We set a new record this last summer.

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the canadian dime I found one of those 1889 I think I first thought it was play money till I saw the date . Awesome finds !

OP
OP
jas314

jas314

Jul 28, 2011
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ifoundit69 said:
I like the canadian dime I found one of those 1889 I think I first thought it was play money till I saw the date . Awesome finds !
Always like the old Canadian coins
kleinerschmitter said:
I can't even imagine what it must be like to have frozen solid ground, I live in Central Texas and not trying to rub it in but can detect all winter long. Sure, it will get cold and below freezing sometimes, but more often than not our January days reach highs above the 60s rather than below 32. I don't think the ground has been frozen more than a small layer on top anytime during my life. Now, we do have to watch out for those 111-115 degree days during the summer and the last couple of summers we've had 60+ consecutive days of 100+ weather. We set a new record this last summer.
Well, had a high temp of 25 yesterday so yeah its fairly froze probably will be till march or so. Texas sounds like my kind of place though lol
treasurepirate1 said:
the season is pretty much over for me as well we have an inch of snow now, but may manage a couple more holes.
Hear ya on that one kinda what I thought on this hunt but wasnt going to happen :laughing7:
Lanny in AB said:
Jas--great finds!! I love old silver as well, and the pennies are sweet!

TheGeorgiaCanuck said:

Found two fishscales this fall: 1914 and 1917--blew me away. A guy had his yard ripped-up for renovations and he let me hunt it--lots of old pennies as well.

All the best,

Lanny
Thanks lanny
jewelerguy said:
great finds! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thank you ;D

flatbuttonman

Dec 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jas314 said:
Wow!!! great job, I love the 1912 wheat,and the 1905 Indian head they look 2 b n great shape. Way to go out with those finds,thanks for saving history one piece at a time.
flatbuttonman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread